Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GE Clock and am radio model 513F

got the set free.
had filter caps replaced already but i redid the other caps with what i had in my inventory.  set works fine now,, not to say it wont just up and break with my luck!

Aaron shared a link about the clock and these making noise.  
Against the suggested practice of torching the metal housing apart, i thought up using my smallest drill bit to **BY THUMB AND FINGER** rotate the bit to gently penetrate the "top" of this case.

dipping in and out feeling around with my tools you run directly into a gear about 3/16'' where my hole is now.
so... dont do a hole dead center top. make the hole favoring either side of center and you will *not* risk hitting a gear.

i guess the advantage of being centered is you instantly get to drop in lubrication atop a gear just below the hole, its up to you.,, but to me the torch method in a vice to pry open the whole assembly makes me think that it would make it very easy to damage the whole assembly. this seems to be the least intrusive way to revive the gearbox and time accuracy.

apparently the case is 100% copper!  i was in there in less than 5min.

the symptom of the clock was
-noise
-grinding
-lost about 15min of time over 24hrs.

other info states a lithium type/looking grease may have been used inside the gear box... CONFIRMED,,, the color of my grease was purple when i flushed it out with thinner injected by a needle syringe used to fill printer ink cartridges.

I injected a boat ton till full of transmission fluid. > dont do this!
the physical weight of that amount of fluid slowed the gear box down to a crawl,, or... the conductivity of the fluid slowed down the magnetic field the engineering required to spin the center gear shaft.  I guess this original grease might have been thinly applied or to a degree , somewhat non conductive.... dono... but i had to reflush with thinner and spray carb cleaner again using the syringe.

i dry tested and it was noisey but really fast moving so i know now that it was ok to add "a lot less" trans fluid lubrication.

its ran for over 48hrs and the minute hand is dead on with all my other digi and analog clocks so i guess its all good.

no noise, unless you put your ear really close to the gear box.

i will put it back together today and restage it.

i would kind like to know if there is a way to integrate this set to my long wire antenna.
this one has a wound antenna on the back cover using two wires.

I will seal up the hole i drilled with a small dab of silcone,, then maybe engrave an "oil here" mark on the copper gear box case.

there is a tube next to the speaker, it was rather warm so i slipped one of those oem heat sync metal things over it to help keep heat off the speaker coil.
it has no affect of reception which i tested first so it stays.

i may end up moving this into the kitchen.

I am missing one "clock face" knob if anyone has a suggestion or i will make something to slip on the set. the bottom clock face knob is the selector switch which i have.
the top knob must be a simple round design as it allows you to pull out or push in for activation of the alarm clock feature.

Attached Files Image(s)

update,, radio is dead on perfect heading to the end of the third day...
so perhaps flushing out the gear box is a good idea.

Oh, yes. Flushing and changing out the old oil is very necessary. Had to do this a couple of days ago to a Bulova synchronous motor: