Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chassis Paint

Can anyone recommend a chassis paint for the Philco 620 I am restoring? I'm new to this forum and to antique radio restoration. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek

Philco chassis' were never painted. They were zinc plated, no chrome.

Chuck -

This particular chassis is in pretty rough shape. I was trying to avoid the cost of having it replated, and am wanting to know if anyone has had any luck painting them to resemble the original finish.

If not, I'll have to check into replating. I'm sure it will be costly.

Thanks,
Derek

A friend of mine has used a metallic paint from a local auto body supply store that looks VERY authentic. I don't recall the name of it, though. Sorry about that. I need to find out, as I have some Philco chassis that are looking pretty rough and could benefit from this treatment. I'll ask him again, and post here...

Early Philco chassis (1928-32) are a flat grey in color, and for those, I use Krylon dark gray primer. Looks quite authentic.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have repainted a few radio chassis in my day. I have always used automobile engine enamel in spray cans, in either silver or grey color. This stuff dries very hard and is heat-resistant. It will also resist solvents, won't wipe off if you get tuner cleaner on it, etc. By the way, I use the same thing when repainting a power transformer, but black in that case.

Poston

I found a zinc rust preventer paint at ACE hardware that looks pretty close to 'right'. Don't use aluminum paint though... causes ridicule. Don't ask how I know...Icon_smile

Kind regards,
Terry
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/
"Life is simpler when you plow around the stump."

Thanks to all.

Ron - Just checking to see if you had any luck finding the name of the paint.

Thanks,
Derek

Finally found where I had written this down:

A friend of mine had used a particular type of paint he bought at an automotive paint supply store. It looks very good, much more authentic than aluminum paint (sorry, Terry J Icon_wink ).

It's called Auto Magic motor paint, the color he used is called Silver 20-20. The chassis he showed me that he had painted looked very nice, as if it had been freshly plated.

I had mentioned Krylon grey primer earlier in this thread. This same fellow suggested cast iron grey from Auto Zone. I haven't tried that yet, but I know the Krylon grey primer gives a flat finish that closely resembles the original color of the earlier Philco chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron and others. I'm looking forward to trying the Silver 20-20.

Derek