Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GE Loud Mouth

I realize this is a fairly 'new' radio, but I figured I'd share this here because I am a bit shocked it works at all. This AM-FM/8-track combination was given to me a few years ago when the new owners of my late friend's home were cleaning up what was abandoned there after the auction. I had gone to buy the parts Radiola 66 that was still there and was getting ready to leave when the 80-something dad of the new owner came rushing out to give me this radio and a small box of tubes he discovered in a corner of the garage. He figured I could use the parts. Well, I finally dug it out this evening to see if it would even work. Marks against it, two cracks on the dial scale and the antenna is broken off. One good thing, the battery case shows no corrosion. I plugged it in and it tried to play, but the controls were horribly filthy and stiff. Popped it apart and cleaned the controls, even confirmed the belt was intact on the 8-track. Amazingly, this radio came back to life and, so far, even the 8-track still works and sounds decent. I am using one of my jumper wires for an antenna and am currently listening to it as I type this. Tuner is a bit scratchy, but once I peak a channel it works fine. As it is playing on batteries, it seems to be getting clearer and less fussy. Might see how long it lasts. Oh, it is also the usual Olive Drab and Black combination I always seem to find these colored in Ohio. Ohioans must have liked their GE portables military colored! Icon_lol 

No matter where you go, there you are.

I actually really like that one! If you could get another dial scale and polish it back up, that would be an awesome unit! What year do you think it might be from? 1974ish? I would definitely use the 8-track feature often! Icon_thumbup

After seeing the crazy prices these things are bringing on eBay in just decent working order, I think I will try to fix this one up even more. I played it for three hours straight last night and it sounded great on FM. Tried it briefly this afternoon and it still seemed alive. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

A really good cleaning, some novus, and you may have a looker. That speaker cover seems to have coolected a lot of dust!.
Good luck. 

Paul

Tubetalk1