Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cabinet Dilemma

Hi Guys,
                 Bit of a story, that spans a couple of years but I truly need some help. I have a Model 507 Radiobar that I have owned for almost 50 years. At one point many years ago the radio spent a few years at a relative's home. The chassis ceased working so the relative removed it for repair, which unfortunately never happened. When I again had possession  of the Radiobar the chassis had simply gone missing.
    After some years of the radio just sitting my closet I contacted a radio chassis restoration fellow I deal with here in Palm Springs and told him my plight. I wanted to locate another chassis if possible. He said as long as I had the front panel of the cabinet, he could probably identify the correct chassis. As the cabinet was partially dismantled at this point I simply brought him the front panel for identification. A few weeks later he called to say he new which model I was after, gave me the Philco numbers and I started my search. I did locate a good usable chassis within a month or so and purchased it. In the mean time I decided the cabinet was really due for restoration as well so i took it to my friend here in the desert who owns Museum Quality Restorations. 
    I called back to my radio friend several times to make arrangements to bring him the chassis for restoration but kept getting his answering machine. This went on for several months but I was not alarmed as he was elderly and did this work as a labor of love. A few more months pass when my cabinet restorer calls me and asks for the missing front panel. I'd forgotten that I did not bring it to him with the rest of the cabinet. I searched my workshop and home high and low but could not locate the darn thing. Then I remembered that I had dropped it with the chassis man and never retrieved it. Several more unanswered calls to him went by before I realized something was amiss. Now approximately a year and a half had passed since I dropped the panel at his shop. I managed to find his residence and called there. His spouse related that my friend had suffered a debilitating stroke and given up the trade almost a year earlier. I explained my situation and was told that they still had the shop although it was now mostly empty. I did speak with the business owner but he simply could not remember what had become of the panel. We went to his shop and it was empty. I looked in every nook and cranny just in case it was tucked away some where but no luck. He told me he'd sold all of his radios to a local collector whom I contacted as well. He was very friendly, we met and he explained that he'd bought all of the fellow's radios but only complete radios, no parts or pieces.
    I tried a few more times with the radio man but to no avail. It appears my front panel is lost to the sands of time. I searched for the last few years to see if I could possibly find a cabinet for parts but have had no luck there either. The cabinet restorer is reluctant to make a new panel as he says the new veneer will not match the old. But it seems now that this is our only hope of finishing this project. What I'm after at this point is anyone who might have a Model 507 as pictured (possibly being restored currently) that could make a template of that front panel for my fellow to duplicate from.
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards, Greg

Attached Files Image(s)

Sad story.

Although I have to say, even though the guy suffered a stroke, if he was in any condition to give directions (well, it says it was his decision to give up the trade) he should've told his relatives he had other people's possession that should be returned. And if he could not, the relatives should've made at least some reasonable effort to contact recent customers to let them pick up their belongings.

Now this said, Steve Davis might be your best bet. If (and only if) he would take on a console front panel. He does cathedrals.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I have the same Radiobar as you, in pieces. Only mine was made for a 610 or 620. It looks like yours (assuming that photo is of your Radiobar) was made for one of the larger models (640? 650? 660? 116?). The size of the oval hole for the dial opening will be different, and the knob spacing of the lower three holes will be slightly different.

That said, however, I can probably figure out some way to make a tracing of mine and furnish dimensions.

Such a shame that the repair guy lost your original front panel. Icon_sad

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you gentlemen, yes it's a shame this happened. I feel sure that my panel is still out there somewhere just collecting dust on someone's shelf who has no idea what it is. Pretty frustrating, but I can't help feeling some responsibility as well, if I'd followed up a little sooner. As usual, hind sight is 20/20.
    I have no question about my cabinet guy's ability to make a top quality new panel. Problem is, up til now all we have to go on is pictures borrowed from the internet. So it's a little difficult to get an exact measurement.
And yes Ron, I believe the chassis is a 650. I will post an image or two of it here later today just to get a confirmation on that.
Greg

Ron,
             I don't mean to be a pest but have you had an opportunity to make a tracing of that front panel?
Just something on a heavy piece of paper would do it. My guy can transfer to cardboard on this side. I have an old front panel from a cabinet that once housed a 660 chassis so I can use that as a guide for the dial and knob holes.
Best, Greg

You never indicated that you wanted it, so I forgot about it Icon_redface

PM forthcoming.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN