Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-630 chassis in 37-610 cabinet?

Will the 37-630 chassis fit in a 37-610 Cabinet?  I think this size radio is called the "Bullit"?
Tk you.
Tt

Yes, but clearance of the 5Y4G rectifier will be an issue since its socket is on top of the power transformer.

Use of a 5Y4GA (shorter tube) will take care of that.

I have a 37-640 chassis in a 38-623 or 624 "Big Bullet" cabinet. I used a 5Y4GA and it fits fine.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Tks Ron.  How about the shadow meter on the 630? Will it fit?  Not even sure if the 610 has one.
Tt

Ah yes, the shadowmeter. No, the 37-610 has no shadowmeter, so its escutcheon has no provision for one.

If you can find an escutcheon for a 37-630T, or a 37-640B, you can use it in place of the 37-610T escutcheon. A 37-630 or 37-640 console escutcheon is larger and will not fit.

Barring that, you can remove the shadowmeter and connect a 1000 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor under the chassis in place of the shadowmeter.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Tk u Ron
Tt

Actually, there were different models of the 37-630. One had the rectifier tube on top of the transformer, the other has it on the chassis. The one I am currently working on has it on the chassis.

A 5Y4GA or a 5Y4GT? You could also use a "gasp" metal tube in it's place. I don't know why Philco insisted on mounting the rectifier tube socket on the top bell of the transformer, it was likely the same logic with using a modular chassis design, but it causes many issues that a 1950s TV set with the same install would not have.
Regards
Arran

(07-09-2018, 05:19 PM)mikethedruid Wrote:  Actually, there were different models of the 37-630...

Right. The 37-630T chassis has the rectifier next to the audio output tube, on the chassis. The 37-630 console chassis has the rectifier tube on top of the power transformer.

I made an assumption that the OP had a 37-630 console chassis in which case my advice is correct regarding use of a 5Y4GA tube. If the OP has a chassis from a 37-630T, he's good to go as far as fit inside a 37-610T cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sorry folks, I should have been more clear.  I have a chassis for a 37-630 the table top small guy I think it is called the Bullit?   The rec tube is NOT located on T1. However I do not have a cabinet for this so I was looking at a cabinet for the 37-610 on ebay and they seemed to be close enough.  But i was not sure which is why I came to the experts here.  What is the proper designation for this radio?
Thank you for everyone's help.
Tt

37-630T, Code 122

Late production version: 37-630T, Code 126 (RF unit is different, same frequency coverage)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Have almost completed rebuilding the 37-610T chassis and have one more question.  THe shadow meter will not fit due to lower edge of speaker.  I will replace with a 1k resistor.  How about the lite that goes with the S/M?  Can I just leave it out or is it needed in ckt?  If needed what ohmage resistor would be needed to replace it?
Tks
Tt

The lamp is just connected across the filament line so no need to add a load in it's place.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry