Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-1013P Dimensions

Anybody know the dimensions (especially height) of the 42-1013P?

http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1942a/#Model_42-1013P

I'm going to look at one this weekend - and ideally buy it too! - but it's a drive and I'm worried it won't fit in the car.
I've asked the seller but they either don't own a measuring tape or...?? but haven't been able to provide a very precise answer.

Also - any general hints on transporting these BOL sets? Is the phonograph likely bolted down or should it be removed for transport?

I don't have the measurements but I have seen one before, many years ago, and I can tell you that radio is yuuuge!

I would take a truck. A full size truck. And not one of those more recent "big car" trucks with four doors and a shorty bed. Oh, and take a helper, too - they aren't lightweight!

The phono should be bolted down unless someone tinkered with it. Be sure and tie up the tone arm so it does not move around in transport.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I went to the basement and looked it up. Philco Furniture History gives these dimensions:

36" high, 40" wide, 15" deep.

Good luck.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you sir!

It sounds like it would just fit in the back of the SUV. Not ideal though. I may remove the chassis and phonograph from the cabinet to make it a bit easier to move.

Good idea.

The cabinet alone will still be heavy. Do your back a favor and take a helper along.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Mission accomplished! Yesterday I drove to Seaside, OR after the NWVRS radio picnic and swap meet to pick up the 42-1013P.

I was planning to take out the phonograph and chassis to lighten things up... but man are there a lot of wires going on and not all appear to be socketed:

[Image: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1789/4250...a76f_c.jpg]

Fortunately the seller was kind enough to help me load it into the car without taking it apart. As Ron said it's quite heavy and pretty wide so two people is really the only way.

[Image: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1769/2854...f097_c.jpg]

It *just* barely fit in the back of the SUV. And as you can see in all the excitement I made the rookie mistake of not loading it top first so that it would be easier to unload.  Icon_crazy

Fortunately it didn't end up being a problem - my wife helped me unload it and together we got it out without incident.

I'll post a few other pictures in the Phinds and Losses for July. Icon_biggrin

The cabinet looks very nice.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Looks like a very nice set

I remember when I bought mine 40 years ago. I brought it home in the trunk of my '72 Ford LTD.

It was my first wood radio. It got a lot of listening time. Still have it.

Yours looks better than mine. Yours still has the original BOL phonograph. What is the item on the top left on the back side of the cabinet?

> I bought mine 40 years ago. I brought it home in the trunk of my '72 Ford LTD.
Back when men were men and trunks were really trunks!! That was the yr I got my dl.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yeah, yeah. I brought mine home in a Subaru Forester.
It's just not the same. Icon_smile

(07-27-2018, 11:42 AM)Kestas Wrote:  Yours looks better than mine.  Yours still has the original BOL phonograph.  What is the item on the top left on the back side of the cabinet?

The BOL will be a whole project unto itself. I've restored one other phonograph previously - a 46-1203 - which was frozen up because all of the grease had petrified. I got that unstuck and replaced the crystal cartridge. This seems like it could be much more challenging. I will likely send the BOL head off to West Tech for repair (I'm assuming it's going to need it)

Here's a closer pic of the back:
[Image: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/844/43366...b393_c.jpg]

I believe it's labeled 32-8196 which the service notes say is part #118 - the Phono Input Transformer.

I bought a parts Philco to harvest the BOL phonograph. I'll have to check if it has that transformer.