Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Freed-Eismann NR-10

Hello all.  Picked up a Freed-Eismann NR-10 this past weekend.  I'm admittedly very uneducated with this radio.  The unit is built into a tall boy cabinet.  I've searched the internet and found several photographs of this set, but none with this cabinet.  It appeared too well constructed to have been a conversion.  The set itself is dusty but very well preserved considering it's age.  The filigree is intact, as is the grille cloth.  Cabinet needs a little TLC, but I could only hope to look as good if I ever get to be as old as this console!  If anyone can offer any more information about this radio I would be very appreciative.  Will do everything I can to make this one of my "babies"!  Take care, and thanks in advance, Gary (forgot to add - photos are in July Finds and Losses)

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I would guess that about 1/2 of all 3-dialers and other 20s designs will fit into a "standard" cabinet. Your tallboy might have been stock or an upgrade or built for a completely different radio. Do you have a picture?

Steinite

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

If you look at many of the old ads reprinted in Allan Douglas' books, you will see that many companies offered their sets in console cabinets of various styles, some were quite elaborate, even cheaper sets like Freshman Masterpieces were offered that way. I believe that the Fada model 76 chassis I have may have come out of a console cabinet originally, there wouldn't be much reason to remove it from a table cabinet since the bare chassis is not that much smaller. Many 1920s battery era consoles are fairly rare now in that they were more costly then the table sets, and that they took up too much real estate once the AC sets took over, and they became obsolete.
Regards
Arran

That is a magnificent radio. It appears that the cabinet includes a speaker, which is a big plus, as the radio alone did not come with one. I have seen a number of pictures of the NR-10, and they all were in table top cabinets, except two, and those cabinets were on tall legs and did not have the battery storage compartment below, so it is likely that this was an optional extra that may have been offered by the retail store that sold this set.  Here is a link I found for building a battery eliminator that will provide A, B, and C voltages for this set:
http://www.walkingitaly.com/radio/RADIOU...T_ELIM.HTM  .

Thanks for the info guys! A must that I build a battery eliminator. A previous owner coddled together a makeshift adapter using 15 9volt batteries for the B source alone. Yes, Mike the speaker is built in to the top portion of the cabinet, and the top swings open to expose the wooden megaphone and the inner workings of the radio. I've been researching the internet for F-E information, and found a little here and there. Will certainly be picking everyone's brains to get this back up and running. Take care all, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

It's a neutrodyne apparently, so the RF coils will have a neutralizing winding, and will be mounted on an angle. The neutrodyne circuit was very popular in the years prior to screen grid RF amplifier tubes such as the #24, because TRFs using triodes had a nasty tendency to create feedback loops limiting the amount of gain you could have, the neutrodyne allowed more gain without the osculation problems. Fada was famous for building neutrodynes, as was King Hiners, Freed Eisemann obvioulsy, and oddly enough Stromberg Carlson.
Regards
Arran