Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Dilemma - Need Help Again!

Hello everyone.  Last week I acquired another Philco console, a 40-180.  I also have a 41-280 console.  I plan to completely restore both, then put one in my collection and gift the other to a friend.  Both have similar cabinets.  Both are in similar condition chassis and cabinet wise.  The question is ... which one would you keep?  Did either set have any attributes (or flaws) that set it apart from the other?  The 40-180 has a wider band range is the only obvious difference.  Did one years' technology make that much of a difference in their performance?  As always your help is truly appreciated.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Oh no not another dilemma!  [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]
That's an easy one the 41-280 is a better performer than the 40-180. On most if not all of the '41 models Philco did a redesign of the front end and if stage. They don't use a rf amp but have a 2nd if amp along w/a better mixer circuit using two triodes (XXL's). The triode mixing circuit is much quieter that the more conventional pentagrid (6A7,6A8, 6J8,7A8, ect) or the pentode/triode like 77/76 used in the 16/116/660 ect.
I think if you set the two side by side you'll notice that the '280 as a lot less background noise and signal are stronger. That's known as signal to noise ratio (snr)

Happy rewiring!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I did not have to rewire mine: all wires with a possible exception of a couple of them were soft and pliable.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.