Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BATTERY ACID REPAIR

Hello everyone.  Recently I became the owner of a beautiful Freed - Eisemann nr-10 in a full cabinet with battery storage area.  Photos are in the July Finds and Losses section of the Phorum.  The side panel of the cabinet was exposed to battery acid and has a fist-sized area of discoloration and wood rot as a result from the interior out through the external finish.  Any ideas as to how I can repair this?  The panel only seems to be 1/4 inch plywood.  My initial idea was to remove the damaged area, refill the area with a new section of wood or filler, then re-veneer the exterior and refinish the entire cabinet.  I'm hoping you guru's have a better idea.  Thanks in advance, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Depends on your abilities. If the rest of the cabinet is really good, a repair to just the damaged panel would be best. It can be done, but matching grains and colors is not covered in Cabinet Repair 101. (Advanced skills required)

Pitchers?

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

We would need to see the damage to make an evaluation, for a start the acid would have to be neutralized in some way before any repair to that panel could be made, no need if it is to be replaced. I can remember neutralizing the battery shelf in the bottom of an old battery console from the late 1930s with a baking soda solution years ago, lots of fizzing action.
Regards
Arran