Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deforest Crosley LISZT 8D991

I finally got the cabinet on this one done. I must say that it came out better than I had expected.
 These Rogers and Deforest Crosley radios sure do have some nice veneer
 I had to remove the FAUX finish on the bars in front of the grill cloth because it
was just too far gone.
 I had to file it off and then use sandpaper to get down to the wood.
It is tough stuff.
 The cabinet did turn out very nice and I may keep this one.
 It has six bands, with a very nice sweeping dial.
   The 6X6  [rare]   tube is original, but I added a voltage booster to bring  the eye tube up to 300 volts from 200 volts.
 I also installed a switch so the voltage to the eye tube can be shut off, to save it from being lit all the time, if the radio is played for an extended period of time.
  We don't get a lot of good reception on SW up here in Alberta, but last night [with an attic antenna]
in my garage I got about 8 or 9 SW station pretty clear.
 I am starting to think I just might keep this one.
    The more I look at it the better I like it.
Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Very nice job. Icon_thumbup  Interesting idea about switching off the eye tube.

Very nice! Those series of DeForest sets are pretty rare. Seem to see the Rogers versions more often...

Really nice job on a beautiful set Icon_smile

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Dan;
  I have the fancier version of that radio called a "Brahms" it has a bank of pushbuttons, and a motorized dial, but I have seen the "Liszt" version come up from time to time as well, they seem to be more common, probably because they were $15-20 cheaper back in 1938.

Brad;
I've noticed that what brands turn up in what area seems to depend on what distributors operated in the region, in my area I see more DeForest Crosley sets then Rogers, but I see more of either type then of the Canadian Majestic models. In my area there was a Phonola dealer, a Sparton dealer, a Westinghouse dealer (in a downtown hardware store), a small Eatons store, and RCA-Victor dealer, a G.E dealer, and a DeForest-Crosley dealer, I have no idea who sold Philco sets in the area but they turn up too. What I don't see too often is Canadian Marconi stuff, but it does turn up in Nanaimo.
Regards
Arran

Liszt was is one of my fave composers, how is the AM up there, the dial is very sharp, a keeper.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul:  You must be into classical music.
Myself: I like country music and I didn't know who Liszt was until I looked it up.
   Thanks.. On Am stations up here we don't get very much that I like  NEWS WEATHER ,
SPORTS, TALK, TALK, TALK.. I do pick up KMON   560  Great Falls Montana., and sometimes CFUN 1410 Vancouver  B.C
 Dan in Calgary

Living in Calgary Alberta

Dan;
  I was picking up a classic country station from somewhere in Alberta a while back, I can't remember where it was from but it was up near 1500 Kc or so. Can you pick up 790 CFCW in Calgary, they are a country station in Edmonton?
  With regards to classical music I didn't know who Franz Liszt was until I tried to find out what one song was that they used in several classic cartoons of the 1940s. The somg was called Hungarian Rhapsody Number #2 and was used in a Tom and Jerry cartoon called "The Cat Concerto".
Regards
Arran

790 CFCW is now 840 and still country. We also have 1440 that plays 70-80's music during the day but it is a low power station.

Gregb

Piano Concerto 1 is a nice piece, talented guy. Some vintage radio folks are not big into FM but we have a couple of good Classical stations up here, play some fine music, sounds nice on a Zenith AM/FM, something other than Talk, Talk, Talk, and good luck that with very sharp set. 

Paul

Tubetalk1