Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2018 Season

He who doesn't goof up likely doesn't do anything.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Point well taken.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, We've all made mistakes in our work and been PO'ed about it, almost panicked . 
Put the cabinet aside and forget about it 'til next weekend, when you can look at it with a fresh mind.
When you look at it then, you will see that it's not that bad! Icon_thumbup

Ron;
  There is a trick that I learned of a number of years ago for fixing runs, drips, or sags, without having to sand it down, it's a razor blade. Apparently auto painters use this trick all the time, they shave or scrape it down with the edge of a razor, the reason being is that the run is always thicker then the surrounding paint (or lacquer) and it's usually not fully cured all the way through so they tend to clog sandpaper. After you shave the high spots off, and leave it to cure for a day or so, then you can wet sand it to blend in with the rest of the paint. I've been using this trick for years and it works quite well.
Regards
Arran

Arran - thanks. However, with my luck I would probably shave off all of the lacquer and part of the bare wood as well. I've been thinking about it, and on the RCA 6T2 I think I am going to try a combination of very light wet sanding and a few spritzes of Mohawk's Blender Flow-Out, which is supposed to help flow out lacquer (I happen to have a can of that on hand). Barring that I could get one of those fill-it-yourself spray cans from Home Depot, fill it with lacquer thinner, and spritz a little on the trouble areas (with the cabinet lying on its back, of course). I've read previously that this is something some refinishers do when they get an orange peeled surface; spritzing lacquer thinner from a spray can supposedly smooths out the finish - again, when the surface is horizontal so the lacquer can't run.

On the Philco 66B, I will follow a similar course of light wet sanding, followed by spraying some Medium Walnut in a spray can lid and applying it with a brush to the bare spots, wait a day or two, then spritz that area with Blender Flow-Out.

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point that I can salvage both cabinet jobs and that they will turn out OK.

And Ed - thank you as well. Icon_thumbup I'm not going to do anything else to the 6T2 or 66B cabinets until this weekend at the earliest.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Success. I think.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...18_032.jpg]

I wet sanded the blemished area with a scrap piece of 1000 grit paper; I think I made the best possible choice of paper to do this blemish repair.

Then I sprayed some Mohawk Medium Walnut into the lid of the can and, using a small brush, went over the bare spots a couple times. I think I have the color matched up pretty well.

A closer look:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...18_033.jpg]

I had an LED shop light directly over the cabinet, so the spots look a little lighter in the photo than they actually are.

I think now, with subsequent coats of clear lacquer and careful wet sanding, that I will be able to blend this repair in to the point that it will hardly be noticeable. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Looking good!
Icon_thumbup

Thanks Bob.

After two more coats of clear lacquer, the spots on the top still show. And I expected them to show as they are now depressed areas in the top. Not as much as shown above in post #51 (before I sprayed on an additional two coats of clear), but yes, they do show.

I may have to try painting on some clear lacquer in the low areas until I build them up slightly above the rest, let dry, then wet sand them flat. If I can pull this off, this should completely take care of the issue. I also have the little pressurized sprayer now from Home Depot into which I can put some lacquer thinner, if I need to.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(09-15-2018, 09:24 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  I may have to try painting on some clear lacquer in the low areas until I build them up slightly above the rest, let dry, then wet sand them flat. If I can pull this off, this should completely take care of the issue. I also have the little pressurized sprayer now from Home Depot into which I can put some lacquer thinner, if I need to.

If you are careful, this can work.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Thanks Russ.

I think it is working...

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...18_035.jpg]

There is some bumpiness here now, but no depressions. I'm hopeful that another session of careful wet sanding will all but take care of the problem area.

As for the rest of the cabinet:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...18_034.jpg]

Looking good, I think.

Next weekend is supposed to be much cooler with highs in the 70s...much better for spraying lacquer. I hope to wrap this cabinet up next weekend.

During the coming week, one evening I also hope to get the 41-KR stripped. I am still hopeful that I can get it refinished in the next couple of weeks. It's small so it shouldn't be too difficult. The hard part will be stripping it, regluing it where it has pulled apart in places, filling the cracks that remain and then painting with white lacquer followed by the decal and a few coats of clear lacquer.

And I haven't forgotten the 91B. I have a new wraparound (top/sides) for it, along with a new front panel and bottom trim. The 91B may not get refinished this season since I am facing surgery in the near future (I don't know yet when but am assuming sometime in October). However, if I don't get the 91B refinished this season, hopefully I can do so in 2019.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron looking good! Hope to try to refinish a cabinet some day.

So it has rained all day today, and is supposed to rain tomorrow as well; which means no lacquer spraying this weekend.

I did wet sand the Philco 66B cabinet this evening:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...18_036.jpg]

Now, a closer look at the damaged spot on top:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...18_037.jpg]

Almost gone. Icon_thumbup

I am hoping that the next two coats of lacquer will all but hide the little bit of a flaw that remains.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

...And I hope to get those next coats of clear lacquer sprayed this coming weekend.

Score so far on my 2018 cabinet restorations:

RCA 6T2 - DONE except for final rubout
Philco 66B - Needs final coats of clear lacquer
Philco 16B - Scratched due to polyurethane, better luck in 2019
Philco 41-KR - As yet untouched, maybe I'll have time to strip it one evening this week?
RCA T7-5 - Almost ready for sanding sealer
Philco 91B - Have new top/sides (wraparound) and new front panel, have not had time to work on it yet. It may not get refinished this year, but perhaps I can get the new parts installed, even over the winter.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Methlylene chloride stripper for the poly on the model 16B cabinet, paint lots of it on, and let it sit for 15 minutes, minimum, scrape off, then repeat application. I hate polyurethane with a passion, there is just nothing good about the oil based stuff for furniture, you can't repair it only strip it off, save it for flower planters, and wood floors maybe, it makes chalk paint look good.
Regards
Arran

Nothing makes chalk paint look good. Icon_thumbdown

Well aware of what to do about the 16B tombstone cabinet. It just isn't happening this season.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN