Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1936 90c cathedral- smoking

I am new to the Phorum and also new to antique radios. Bought this refurbished/reconditioned mostly original 1936 90c Cathedral style a few years ago. It worked wonderfully for about a year and then began to smoke. I am unsure how to try and figure out the problem. I have been looking for someone to consider repairing. I live in southeast michigan just out side of Ann Arbor.

Im interested in either getting some guidance on how to try and determine the problem. Probably having an expert do the work would be best option.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Bill

If you are lucky, you have a bad (shorted) rectifier tube and you have not killed the power transformer.
Check the tubes.
Without any tubes installed (unplugged, discharged) check for short after the rectifier.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Bill,
Welcome to the Phorum Icon_wave

Your radio needs some repairs that requires someone who is familiar with antique radios, unless you want to spend the time to learn about repairing and restoring antique radios. Here's a beginners page that Phil Nelson has put together just for some information: https://www.antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

There is a Michigan Antique Radio Club that is reasonably close to you where you may find someone to help you in person: http://www.thevee.org/

If you want to explore trying to fix it yourself you will need a good volt-ohm meter, a soldering gun or iron and lots of patience. Read through some of the restoration threads in this phorum to get a feel for what folks have done and then start a thread in the "electronic restoration" section with your questions and postings as you start the repair. Folks here will be happy to help you along the way. Be careful...once you start restoring radios it becomes a habit and radios seem to find their way to your door!

Bob,

Thanks for taking he time to reply. I have reached out to the Michigan Antique Radio Club. I have toyed with the idea of trying to figure out the problem myself, but as you point out, i need to educate myself a bit before I start. I would like to better understand how the radio works. I would like to try the repairs as well however, I still have full-time job and worry I will deconstruct the radio and have it sitting in pieces until I retire.

I will look at Phil Nelsons beginners page in the meantime.

Bill

Some clubs run clinics, bring it in to see the Doc, maybe fix on the pot and show you how and why.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Get in touch with Mark Oppat. He's in the Detroit area and is active on this forum.

http://www.oldradioparts.net

Good luck!

Hi Bill and welcome,
I'm kinda curious about your set in that I'm unaware that particular model in that year. Could you post a pic or two of it at your convenience? There was a model 90 (several different runs and cabinet styles) around 1932 or so.
When it started smoking was it play fine? Or did the volume drop off ? There are some noninvasive trouble shooting techniques that may give us some clues as to what failed.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome here Bill,

Model 90 was made from around May 1931 until April (or so) 1932, in three distinct chassis versions.

Early version - two 45 output tubes, a "Normal-Maximum" toggle switch in back
Middle or most common version - one 47 output tube, no switch in back
Late version - two 47 output tubes, three-gang tuning condenser (first and middle versions had a four-gang tuning condenser)

Which one do you have?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here is a brief Video of a New Jersy Club clinic, maybe you can find one out your way. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIoUXUGfrC4

Paul

Tubetalk1