Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Console ID

Hello all,
I hope I am posting this to the correct forum, if not please just remove it.

I am pretty new here, however I'm not new to radio restoration.  Mainly I've done military and communication type receivers and transmitter for the past 30 or so years...

I am returning a favor for my niece who gave me an E.H. Scott 510 by getting an old Philco console working for her.  I am pretty sure I have the correct schematic for the chassis, but I simply can not identify this specific radio.  I have found versions of the 118, the 18 and now a 59 that look very similar to it, but every time I think I've found it, I discover something a little different on the cabinet.

Can any of you Philco experts tell me what model and version this is?  If more photos are needed, let me know.  I hope the attachments comes through...  TIA!  Brian

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi and welcome,

It is either an 18X or a 118X. How to tell the difference:

If it is an 18X, it will be AM only.

If it is a 118X (and I suspect it probably is), it will have the AM band on the dial plus SW frequencies of 4.2 to 12 mc (MHz) also on the dial.

Model 59 is a very small four tube table model radio which looks nothing like this console, so we can eliminate that from contention. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron!  Yes, it does have the shortwave band, so we know it's not an 18X.  I saw a 59C posted somewhere that someone must have mislabeled since it looked like this one.
It seems the variations I've seen are the little emblems, or emblem at the top.  This one has two on each side of center (one missing), and I've seen some with one dead center at the top.  Just little things like that kept me from coming up with something that was identical!  Thanks again!

Brian

I hate to be a problem child, however this is what I am talking about in some small variations.  These two are shown on the Philco site for the 118X.
The first link is identical to ours except for those two little musical emblems at the top.  The one in the link has only one in the center.
The second one is not very close, especially the top
UPDATE: I just found some more small variations in the cabinet that do not match either of these. Subtle, but certainly different.
http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1935b/#Model_118X
http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1935a/#Model_118X

Maybe this was common to have a certain version that had some random variations, but I just don't know.  I do think you are absolutely correct in that it is some version of a 118(x).

Regards,
Brian

That set looks super, I would be tempted to leave cabinet alone, maybe a clean up, even with the wear looks very period. 

Good luck. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks Paul!  Yes, it does look nice.  It belongs to my niece and I might just do some very light cosmetic work and be done with it.  I do have a lot of veneer and might replace the top as it looks pretty bad.  She is quite a collector, but does not work on them, so I told her to pick one and I'll get it going!

Brian