Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-14 Cabinet Veneer Question

Hello to all,

I have a Philco 38-14 cabinet with water damage to the top as well as missing/damaged veneer.
I want to replace the top with a new piece of plywood and veneer.
It looks like the main pieces of veneer are a match for "french walnut".

So my question is does anyone know what wood was used for the inlay? I was thinking the grain looked like walnut but I am not sure. Maybe a different cut?
Or could it be that its all the same type of wood veneer (french walnut) with just a different color toner?

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron and welcome,
I'll leave your question for someone who knows abt veneer.
Just want to say howdy!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome aboard.
Sorry I can't answer the question either, but one of the regular posters Arran would know.

According to the 1938 (June 1937) Sales Catalog the Philco 38-12T/38-14T/38-15T share the same cabinet:

"Housed in a cabinet of sliced walnut with Zebrano inlays...with the speaker grille sweeping from the instrument panel around the side!"

Thank you so much for the replies!

I think the ad was pretty accurate, the inlay does look like Zebrano/Zebra wood, the rest of the top looks like quarter cut French walnut. Honestly though that cabinet looks pretty rough, it may be simpler just to find another cabinet, unless you just want to revive it for practice.
Regards
Arran

Hi Arran,

Yes the cabinet, especially that top, is in pretty rough shape. But I have never worked with veneer before so I picked it up with the thought what better radio to practice on than this one!

Thanks,
Ron

Hi;
  That's what I was wondering about, I learned to repair veneer in a similar way, I would pick up various farm battery radios from the 1940s, and needed to repair and refinish the cabinets on them. I don't think I ever did one as rough as that but I learned how to patch chipped veneer without the patch being too noticeable, as with yours they were not worth much so if one went badly I really had not destroyed anything. Just take your time, and don't be afraid to dismantle part, if not all, of the cabinet to repair it.
Regards
Arran