Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Inside of a Philco 620 Cabinet

I'm wanting to clean up the inside of my 620 cabinet before I refinish the outside. Does anyone know what the original finish was for the inside of the cabinet? Is there a common practice for restoring?

Thanks,
Derek

I don't think any sort of finish was ever used on the inside of the cabinet, IIRC. Ron would have the definitive word on that.

I also have a 620 - great radio, isn't it? Icon_smile

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Bill - Yes, I do like this radio. I'll like it even more when it is returned to like new condition.

As far as the finish is concerned, I'm talking about whether they were generally sprayed flat black or brown on the back and inside of the cabinet. I don't know if it would have been a paint or a dark lacquer. One of my 620's is in pretty rough shape, and I want it to look like it just came from the factory.

Derek

There is an interesting discussion on this subject going on now over at the antique radio forum.
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/Forum15/...01265.html

Honestly, I do not know exactly what was used originally. Obviously something flat, and dark brown in color.

(edit) Derek, if you're after the "original factory look," please do not finish the outside of the cabinet in a "monotone" color. The 620B should have a medium walnut front panel; the top and sides, as well as the trim below, and on either side of the front panel, should be Van Dyke Brown; several coats of Extra Dark Walnut will also give the very dark appearance, without the greenish tint under certain lighting conditions that Mohawk's newer "runs" of VDB has.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This is an excellent example of a properly refinished 620B.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1936a.htm#q

I've actually seen this set, and it looks even better "in person." Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. I'm definitely planning on the refinishing with the original two-tone look. I'll probably be tackling that this spring when the weather gets better.

I purchased the dark and medium brown Krylon (flat and satin) so that I could choose what I think would work the best with the exterior finish I have. Sometimes on these radios the lacquer or finishes have absorbed tobacco smoke and other airborne stuff that used to be very common in typical households and this discolored the finishes and I think this is sometimes taken as "authentic". There was a heated discussion one time about the typical radios/consoles not having a "piano type" lacquer finishes and there are pictures that show some mid-high end Philcos with the piano finishes. I go with the Krylon flat/satin dark or medium brown and if someone gets too froggy about one of my radios, they always know where the door is.

The interior of a cabinet for any radio is generally shot with a coating of tinted lacquer, as the exterior of the set was done in. Cleaning out the cabinet is usually a long drawn out task, because of the dirt and grunge that has settled in it. I usually use Go-Jo to get it clean, then dry sand it with #400 wet-dry paper. The surface is always rough, and the sanding is already a big improvement. Once nice and clean, and before I complete the outside, I shoot a clear lacquer coat or two inside. It's amazing how nice some cabinets come out on the interior. That's better than they were, coming off the assembly line, but a look into the back of the set shows a very pleasing job.

I think the inside of cabinets were sprayed with stain . Minwax makes spray stains that i find work real well to refresh the look of cabinet insides .