Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Got both my Naks back.

Monday and Tuesday my Dragon and ZX9 came back from Willy Hermann.
Both are working beautifully.
Now I could go back to transferring my vinyl to tapes.

I missed them.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Okay, I'll ask:

What is a Nak, and who is Willy Hermann?

(I know "Nak" is short for Nakamichi, but that's about all I know)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nak is Nakamichi. Cassette deck.

Nakamichi Dragon, ZX9 and CR-7 are the best dual capstan decks they made. Arguably, together with some Tandberg jobs are the best decks period.

Willy Hermann is a former Nak technician who runs a business (pretty much the business although there is another one, forgot, in CT I think, but Willy is the best know guy) of restoring/repairing, aligning and calibrating Nakamichi equipment.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Glad you got them back and are pleased with them.  I have a Teac A-5500 reel-to-reel that needs output xsitors for the capstan drive.  I doubt I'll ever use it very much again, but unless I fix it, it's not even worth hauling it to a meet.  I have all the service literature on it and since I've had it since new I'll probably lug it down to the new house.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

TEACs are good machines.

Get a Nak. Never look back.

That was my plan Icon_smile Now fulfilled.

I was at Goodwill four or five years ago, and I spotted a guy with a Dragon in his shopping cart. It had a tag on it for $19 bucks. I followed the guy for a while, and I ascertained he was a total bubba nitwit and had no idea what he was buying. I said "hey, I have that same deck at home, and I could use some replacement parts." To which he said "I'm getting it for a birthday present for my daughter". As I walked away, I threw up a little bit in my mouth. If I had gotten there ten minutes earlier...….D**n, I still sting when I think of that day.

Well... maybe it was really badly beaten up dragon, by some dragon slayer.
I had a chance of buying a Philips CD880 for $200. Only I didn't know what it was and I had a gall to haggle, until I found out what it was and at that time it was gone. Those go for $700-$1000.

I have lusted for a Dragon since the day they first came out. They're still out of my price range.

Personal advice, supported by many, including Willy Hermann: ZX9 is a better recording quality machine, even if crude, without auto-reverse etc.
Though of course, Dragon is a super very nice machine. It's just ZX9 is superer Icon_smile - just a smidge.
I heard CR7 is also extremely good.