Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Guild Radios

I bet you have seen this West Coast Co's sets. They did the old wall phone style, and the Spice Rack set. So my question is does anyone know about the build quality of their chassis? The cabinets sure seem solid, I have seen in person but never the underside. Ever work on one?

https://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=1000175

Apreciate any input. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

I have no idea Paul, but by way of coincidence, yesterday I noticed on our local craigslist , someone was selling the Lantern model.

Rather quirky,

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Paul;
  I worked on a Spice Rack model Guild, I can't remember the model number but it was an earlier production model as it had a loop antenna whilst the newer ones have a ferrite rod antenna, I'm not sure if the later models have a couplate but this one used discreet resistors and capacitors in the audio section. The quality was not bad, they used molded Bakelite tube sockets, and the tiuning cap was mounted on rubber grommets, the radio-phono slide switch on the back of the tone control was a cheap one and had to be replaced, the insulative strip that held the contacts was made out of stiff cardboard rather then phenolic. Other then that it was the usual overhaul, new capacitors, test and replace resistors as needed, the IF cans were fine in this case but the mica caps in those can cause problems as with any other radio from the 1950s.
Regards
Arran