Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

zenith 6s254 under chassis pics

Hello fella's,
Brought home a 6s254 this week and found that a previous owner has made some changes that I need to try to correct.
I have re-capped other than a few questionable caps.
Did not play at all, not even static until I replace most caps.
Now I have audio, but it will not receive stations unless I pull the grid cap off the 6A8 tube and touch the cap on the tube while holding onto the metal tuning dial shaft.
Seems like some kind of ground issue?
Any one have good clear pics of the underside of the chassis so I have a good reference?
I could send you my personal email to send the pics to.
Need clarification on the tube pin wiring for the 6A8 as well as the 6K7 tubes.
Also noticed he substituted the 5Y4 tube with a 5Y3 tube.
Has the 5Y3 tube number written on the chassis, so I am wondering if he changed any wiring so he could use that tube.
Any help would be appreciated as usual.
Thanks,
murf

Sounds like an open antenna input coil, or a "ground" connection. Simple continuity checks should prove it out. Often the coil primary/secondary has gone open from nearby lightning strike...

Do check that the AVC bus is not shorted to chassis, anywhere and that it is correctly wired.

Do not trust rivet to chassis ground connections, solder them to the chassis, even if there is a risk of scorching paint, touch it up... Common ohmmeter will not show a slight resistance...

Often the open coil can be repaired or rewound.

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

FOUND THE PROBLEM
Wire from 6A8 to tuning condenser should have had the other wire from the front side of the tuning condenser just wrapped around the previous mentioned wire instead of soldered to the terminal.
Thanks to a friend of mine who just happened to have one of these to look at.
Otherwise I would still be looking for the problem into next year.
murf

Ah, the gimmick cap. I had not expected that it had been altered...

Good catch!

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”