Philco 38-10 glass dial cover

Hi,

In the original production run of the Philco 38-10 did they
use a glass dial cover?
I have seen a couple of restorations of that model with
that kind of a cover.

Thanks,
Tom66

Yes, there should be a round piece of glass inside the escutcheon, in front of the dial window.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,

Where would I be most likely to find a dial glass to fit the 38-10 and
how is it held in the escutcheon? Is the glass dome shape or
just flat?

Thanks,
Tom66

The glass is flat. You can have one cut to fit; it is held in place by the outer trim ring of the escutcheon assembly. To remove the outer trim ring, simply twist it counterclockwise and it will come off. Then measure the opening; this is how large the glass needs to be. You could use Plexiglas in place of real glass if you wish (safer).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,

Why the two different types of escutcheons for the 38-10?
I have the one that looks like its scalloped around the
escutcheon. Would it also have taken a glass dial cover and
would it have been held in the escutcheon assembly the same
way as the other one?
Thanks so much for all your help.

Tom66

I don't know what you mean by "scalloped." Maybe you had better submit a picture of the escutcheon on your set to make sure we understand each other...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,

Sorry, but I have no way to post pictures,
but you can go to Radioattic Archives, click
on master list, click Philco 38-10. There two
of them, one by Ron Potter, one by Buzz Stone.
I have the one that looks like Buzz Stone's.
I was thinking maybe they were two different
production run's.

Thanks again,
Tom66

Nope, Buzz's is missing the trim ring which is present on the Potter radio. (This means yours is missing the trim ring, also.) You will need to find this trim ring before you can add the glass, because the trim ring holds the glass in place.

For those following this thread, here are links to the two pictures in question.

The Buzz Stone radio:
http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=1984

The Ron Potter radio:
http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=7092

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,

Thanks for all your help. Now I know what I need to
look for. You wouldn't happend to have one in your
pocket, would you.

Tom66

Looks like my PM to you didn't work. Send me an e-mail about this, and I might be able to help. I'm at: cdh041@earthlink.net

I have a related question. I recently picked up a Philco 37-620 that is also missing the trim ring. Based on on-line photographs, the trim ring for the 37-620 looks similar to the one on the 38-10. Does anyone know whether the trim ring on the 37-620 is the same as the trim ring on the 38-10?

As with Tom66, please contact me if you have one in your pocket. I also need a replacement dial scale.

Thanks!

Allen in SB

Fer Pete's sake, don't you read your PM (personal mail) messages????? I WANT TO HELP YOU.

Tom, Allen,

No, sorry, I do not have any trim rings.

Read Doug's posts above. It sounds like he does have one or more of these.

Doug is one of the great guys in this hobby, always willing to help others out. So, Tom and Allen, you will do well to read your PM inbox (click the User Control Panel link above these posts on this, or any page in the Phorum) and see what he has to offer. OK? Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN