Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radiobar

I have recently been given a Radiobar with little to no information about it and I cannot locate it in all of the photos I have reviewed anywhere online. I would like to restore it properly. See photo, who can tell me more information on this gem?

John Hinds

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome John!

Is the radio still there? Additional photos of the front panel as well as the chassis / speaker would likely help with the identification.

You have yourself a model 507.  It is one of the more common ones to find.  Someone has painted yours all black.  Strip it down and you will find some beautiful veneer with maple inlay.  Looks like you have a few glasses for it that are original and some other miscellaneous ones.  Would be a good looking Radiobar once restored.  Would be nice to know what radio is in it.  They came with all different model philcos.  I had one with a Philco 650, and have one with a 37-620.  They varied from year to year and unit to unit a bit.  Post some more pics and let us know what info you would like on it.  Mulholland Press has some great info and some pics of a model 507.

http://mulhollandpress.com/styled-2/styl...-2014.html

thank you for the quick response. I was told that there was never a radio in it. I have looked for mounting screw holes and cannot see any. I will take more detailed photos and send later this afternoon (west coast time).  Odd thing is that the "Radiobar CO. of America" nameplate does not even have patent numbers listed on it, weird. More to follow later today.

Not to question your expertise, Are you sure about it being a 507? the reason I ask is because the one I have has 2 accordion doors on the middle lower section.

I'm pretty sure it's a model 507, but I have been wrong before.  Some Radiobars did come without a radio, so yours may have come without one from the factory.  I would be suspicious about the accordion style doors, they may be an add on from a previous owner and not original.  Look at the attached picture here, the owner of this 507 fabricated a wood speaker mount.  I guess the original grill had been destroyed and this was their best shot at fixing it.  I would take the time to fabricate the correct panel.  Making the correct veneer would be difficult, but not impossible. Below is a picture of one with the correct panel for reference. Definitely post some more pictures and hopefully we can answer any of your questions Icon_smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you I will send some photos later today.

Well,
You will need the front panel which you will have to make. Then the chassis and speaker.
Unless they are in back of that fabric covering the spot for the escutcheon and grill.
I have a 650 chassis and speaker if you decide to use that chassis.

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6