Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model Number 40-7821

Hello,

A newbie here, hoping to get some help with a Philco from clearing out my parents' house.

It supposedly has the model number "40-7821," but I am not finding a matching number in the Philco Radio Gallery, unless I missed it. The closest seems to be the 1940 Philco Tropic Model 40-780XX, except ours would be "40-78XX," which is not listed. I am unable to find a photo online that matches our model. Please see attached photos.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
chootrainmama

Hi and welcome,
Your set dates from the early 50's but it looks as though it's missing chassis for the tv. The model number would start w/two numbers (like 50 or 51) and a letter (T) and three or four more numbers.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi GL,

Thank you for your reply. So it sounds like the operating instructions in the set don't match the Philco we found them in...

I just ran across the page at https://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showt...?tid=14943, which looks like it will be helpful. I will use that to try to get more info the next time we're at the storage unit.

Is the photo below what you are calling the "chassis"? Does it help with ID at all?

Thanks again,
chootrainmama

Attached Files
.zip IMG_5992.jpg.zip Size: 1.78 MB  Downloads: 125

Oh good you have the chassis!
The model # is probably stamped on to the chassis back edge, pic is a side view. Most of the info that Ron posted in the post you sited is for radios. I don't think there is much if any tv/combo in the Gallery. Just radios.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry

Is GL now your moniker or is it Good Luck? Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The latter my friend.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Thank you for the welcomes and for the tactful correction re: "GL" (sorry; I should've figured that out).

Here is an update, two photos of the back of the chassis. I'm not seeing what I might interpret as a model number from the early 50s, so I still need help, please.

Thanks again,
chootrainmama

Attached Files
.zip Archive.zip Size: 4.02 MB  Downloads: 171

I think I've got it pinned down [Image: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/14/4d/...bef483.jpg] It's a model 50T1479. Sam's 128-11.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

THAT'S IT!!! Amazing, Terry, thank you! Just when I was ready to call it quits ("Phooey!") you came up with the exact match, except prettier. How did you do it?

Does it make sense to put it up on the "For Sale or Trade" part of the site? It will require some re-assembly, of course, and goodness knows what needs replacing to make it work. Alternatively, we'd be happy to donate it to a museum or charitable organization. We're pretty eager to find a new home for it, because it is taking up a lot of space in the storage unit we are trying to clear out. Any ideas are appreciated...

Thank you!