Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hi Fi tube amp kit from China PT 2

Ok all, here we go! oh_yeah Round 2 on the way! I have on hand another tube Amp kit from China. This one is similar, but different from my build a couple years ago. With winter just around the corner, and the shackles about to be removed from work for the season, I am gearing up for another interesting build. The good thing is that I have experience from my previous build that will transfer to this project. It is a 2 channel single ended amp that uses 6L6 output tubes, 12AX7 voltage amp and 5Z4 rectifier. This is a simpler kit with less components. Different layout. I am going to involve my 12 year old son in this build and hopefully spark his interest in electronics. I'm planning to do my own layout and make a set of step by step instructions, and see what happens.

Upon unboxing, this uses a fairy robust power transformer and output transformers. The chassis is stainless and fairly heavy. It also includes a choke, tubes, and components. The tubes are obviously China. 2 items that are not included in this kit are the power cord, which is a common computer type cord, and the bottom cover. It just includes a schematic on one channel and the power supply. Not too impressive, so that will get re-drawn.

I just love the feeling and anticipation of opening a kit box like this and looking at all the goodies inside and know the experience and satisfaction of enjoying the completed project for years to come, knowing I built it! That is an experience that is all but gone in this day and age. Icon_e_sad

What's in the box? OK, take a look!

I already know that I should order a good set of speaker binding posts. Follow along and enjoy as we start the build. I have other projects in the works also, so this will be on and off. Icon_cool

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Tim

Also, see what electrolytics they gave you; if you are suspicious those are not the reputable brands, buy them yourself.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Nice project - and great idea to involve your lad. Reminds me to lure my son in with a crystal set project. I have all the bits.

Cheers

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

My first kit was an Eico HF20.  Yeah, I'm  that  old!

(09-04-2018, 01:16 PM)codefox1 Wrote:  My first kit was an Eico HF20.  Yeah, I'm  that  old!

My first (and only, so far) restored amp is a pair of HF22-s.
Eico made some good stuff.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/M0ZdGIZ.jpg] Should be a fun project Tim and good idea to get the young one involved.
 Looking forward to your thread on it.
I built a tube amp last March from scratch using the plans I got online from Blueglow Electronics.
 Never built one before and it was a good learning experience.
 Here's a couple pics of it. It uses 807 tubes for the output.
[Image: https://i.imgur.com/C7KJiR6.jpg]

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/6RP5jFp.jpg]

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/luk6EHn.jpg]

You have a point on the E caps Mike. If I recall, I think I upgraded at least the input cap on the power supply on my previous build, but I may upgrade all the E caps for reliability. For sure going to upgrade the wiring. All blue and stranded not going to fly. I would like to come up with a bottom cover for safety. Thinking on that one. I'm sure it is available already made if I know where to look. 

KC, very nice build. Thank you for sharing!

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Wait!;
  Hammond is getting some of their transformers made in China now? That isn't very nice given that their prices are usually the highest, more then Edcore or the Mexican ones AES sells. You might as well buy generic China ones and pocket the difference.
   As for the filter caps, if you are using chokes anyhow, use large film caps like Solen or Panasonic, the China mystery brand ones may work for a few years, but they do not have the best reputation.
Regards
Arrn