Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 80Jr Parts List, Capacitor Values?

Hi All,

Restoring a Philco 80Jr  that had been refurbished over 20 years ago. Looking at the schematic, most of the capacitor values are not shown, and searching on the net I have not been able to find a parts list or BOM for this radio.

Can one of you guys point me to the parts list, or a list of the capacitors used in this radio.
Thanks for your help!

Lewis

Welcome Lewis!

Annotated schematics are available in the tech section:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=16721

For model 80: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum/schem/80.jpg

Great, thank you very much.
Lewis

First and foremost I’m an amateur restorer that gained experience with early radios through my automotive restorations. I have now transitioned into home units and just finished replacing the condensers in my model 80jr and am having an issue. The set powers up, makes sound, but the reception is poor unless I touch the antenn wires.

Hi Tim and welcome,
> The set powers up, makes sound, but the reception is poor unless I touch the antenn wires.

Well your model does require an antenna to be connected to for any sort of reception. This set is circa 1932 or so later sets (late 1930's) had small loop antennas so they didn't require an large a outside affair.
Next to the 80 tube there are two wire protruding thru a hole in the chassis one is a light color (this would be the antenna connection) and a dark wire (this would be the connection to earth ground). There is actually only one antenna wire.
A good antenna would be 100' of wire outside as high as you can get it and as far away from power line as possible.
Having a good ground for this set is good also as the volume control depends on it.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry