Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Help needed for a Philco-Tropic Radio, model 3000, code 121
Wink 

Hello everybody.
Recently i've recieved from a friend a Philco-Tropic Radio, model 3000, code 121 (according to the paper label on the back side of the chassis). This radio was bought allmost 20 years ago and before this purchase a techisian made some modifications because he replaced some tubes (14B6 with 12SQ7-GT, 35YA with 35Z5-GT and 50A5 with 50L6-GT). In my attempt to make it work again, i found some cables connected to ...nowere. So, i need a schematic for this radio but i can't find it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
SV2HWH, Konstantinos.

Thats a hard one... The 3000 is the chassis number I think. I believe you have a 3100. The model 3100 is uncommon and I could not find anything for a schematic. Not even on Radiomuseum.com

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

If its really a 3010 with the 3000 chassis then Steve Johnson has schematics see: https://antiqueradioschematics.org/philco.htm
Smile 

Good morning friends!!!!!! (Greece timezone!!!)
Indeed, it is quite hard to find schematic for this radio, but i'm afraid that the model is 3000      .
I found some similarities with the 3010 model of the Philco-Tropic series but still lot of differences...
So, still searching  Icon_smile

Thank you again,
SV2HWH Konstantinos

Perhaps the other way to look at it would be to describe the hanging wires (where the attached end is connected) and figure out where the loose end goes. A pic or two may help too.
We're Hams we can fix anything! [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...wisted.gif]

de N3GTE

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello friends!!
At the upper side of the chassis there is a green cable which is connected, from the one side at the speaker and from the other side at the last join point (starting counting from the front of the chassis) and that is all!
The blue wire is connected at join point #4 with a 2nF capacitor (the dirtiest one at the foto) and from the other side to ...nowhere (just slip under the tuning capacitor). The 2nF capacitor is connected through the #1 join point to the antenna.

Yes, we are Terry, N3GTE and finally, we will fix it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you again for the help!!!!!

SV2HWH, Konstantinos

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi,
Oh you mean the .002 MF cap. Sorry I'm kinda old school w/these cap values. I would replace it as wired. Looks like it's in series with the ant to isolate the ant coil from chassis gnd which has some relation to the ac line. The blue wire is your ant wire which connects to your outside ant.

The green wire if it has no other connection at the terminal strip than to the spkr it's a test point to connect an ac voltmeter when servicing/aligning.

The short green wire that is soldered to the tuning capacitor trimmer should only be soldered on one of the trimmers, not both. The unsoldered end should still have the insulation and just slip thru the trimmer cap's lug hole.  It's used as small (in mmfd) cap to couple a little oscillator signal in to the input side of the mixer.

GL my friend

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Good evening friends!!!
Thank you Terry for the analysis!
Already the 0.002MF capacitor replaced with a new one and at it's end i will connect a cable for antenna (or a terminal for a longer external antenna).
The green wire will be left alone for now.
So, now, have to wait for the arrival of the 35Z5GT tube (the old one have a problem with the heater).

[attachment=17537]

This is the schematic of 3010 model, code 123, which is similar with model 3000. The "antenna" sector, up to the 14Q7 tube is the same, with same values of the components. 

Have a nice weekend!!!!!

SV2HWH, Konstantinos

Attached Files Image(s)

Moved to Philco Electronic Restoration since we're dealing with an electronic restoration now.

Konstantinos, have you a photo of the front of the radio before you removed the chassis?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Good evening Ron.
I'm sorry if i caused any trouble with the wrong category.

Have a nice weekend!

SV2HWH, Konstantinos

No problem...Ron and the modertators just move threads around as they change from a question into a more general electronic restoration discussion...

^ What Bob said. Icon_smile

That is a neat little Tropic! I've never seen a picture of that model before, thank you. It is reminiscent of some Australian Philco models of the late 1940s.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You are welcome Ron!!!!!

As Terry stated previously, the radio is not going to work with that green jumper wire soldered on both ends connecting both sections of the tuning condenser together.!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Hello again friends!!!!
Indeed @462ron, it won't work... i'll keep in mind to remove this small, thin, geeen cable as soon as i return to my "lab".

Have a nice day!

SV2HWH, Konstantinos