Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacing Philco 42-322 Radio power cord

Hi, everyone,

I have slowly been working on an old Philco Model 42-322 radio. One of the things I'm learning about these radios (through videos) is that it might be wired to the chassis. Either using a polarized cord or a three-prong cord. Looking at the schematic, it doesn't seem to be wired directly to the chassis and a continuity check on the plug and chassis doesn't show any indication of it. The cord needs to be replaced anyhow, so I wanted to know how other people have corrected the issue if it exists. I'm fairly new to soldering, and restoring radios, so you might have to simplify things for me.

Thanks for any help you can provide me. 

Have a great day. Icon_smile
Patrick.

the wide tang of the cord will terminate as shown on the schematic.
the narrow tang of the cord will terminate as shown on the schematic.

normally the voltage text / type on the schematic will be placed near the hot terminal.

if you are guessing.. follow the one wire on the schematic that looks like it hits chassis ground right off the bat, that means the other wire is the hot leg.

the molded rubber cords have two runs and the one with a side bump on it or detent is typically the ground,, actually its the neutral leg. this was a standard from the 70's for folks with blindness, they can feel which way the plug goes to get it correct. later on the wider N leg tang was introduced.

if your outlet is bass akwards,,, it will need to be corrected. the silver screw terminal is "N", the goldish looking screw terminal is L1.

if your cord plug tangs are e

Klondike has a series of notes on his resto for this set, maybe he can give you the link. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

You have a good memory Paul.  That was the very first radio I worked with.  I don't think I was smart enough at the time to worry about which way it got wired up although you are right in that there is no direct "on purpose" connection of the power to the chassis.  These 1942 set do have a problem with rubber covered wires that have become brittle and need replacing.  A short to the chassis could be shocking  Icon_eek

How to replace the rubber wire is covered in Ron's tech tips.

The easiest way to see the various write-ups I did on my 42-322 is to go HERE and the 42-322 links are on the page.

My 322 is one of my faves, it has a Radio Daze Dial Scale, but is a fine set, cabinet a mess but for an odd reason I like. 
Not a bad little DXer, NYC, Baltimore, Toronto, and restrung dial thanks to Bob. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

I found your pdf file and downloaded it klondike98. I'll take a look at the site you linked to also. And I had been using the radio when I first got it about 20 years ago (and still used it up until recently, albeit occasionally). I heard stations in Germany, the Netherlands, China, Taiwan, Japan, and Cuba, just to name a few. So it is a good little DX'er. I can't wait for Solar Cycle 25 to heat up, so I can see what's out there.

Thanks for the information. Icon_smile
Patrick.