Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to this; need a little input/ advice

I have a Philco Radio that seems to be intact. How can I pin down the year it is from? (I was unable to attach a photo due to the file size) Also, I am not sure if I should try to plug it in since I certainly do not wish to cause any damage to the electronics. Lastly, what is the best way to clean up the wood? I was going to use something like Murphy's Wood Polish. Any advice?
Bob Icon_smile

We can't help you unless you need to give us a MODEL number, and any CODE number.
Then we can give you a manufacture date.
These can be on the sticker on the inside of the wood cabinet, or ink-stamped on the chassis rear apron.
There are some model sthat had the sticker on the chassis or a tube shield as well.

Chuck

Hello Bobtracey! Welcome! Never plug in any vintage Radio,until it has been properly inspected & serviced ( chassis). The old capacitors under & on the chassis need attention indeed! Proper bench test equip is required to do this. Do you own a variac?
Plenty of good techs & electronic resto info on these forums to help you!! Lots of good help here on cabinet restorations also!! Enjoy your new found Philco!! As Chuck suggested, a photo posted here ,or ,on photobucket, ( photo size friendly) link ( free service link),.. would help identify the age & exact model number if your orig Philco ID sticker is missing? Dont plug it in yet!! Its your radio,however, dont do unnecessary further electronic-restoration harm by "experimenting" with the ac plug on todays higher-line voltages at all! Just my .02! Icon_wink