Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bakelite?

Hi all,

Is this bakelite? I came across this tabletop GE at a flea market over the weekend and -- though I don't usually focus on them -- caught my eye because of the condition of the case. I removed the chassis (really great condition) and polished up the case enough to post on here. I'm sure it's because of my lack of experience in the hobby, but I've not seen a regular bakelite case with this marble swirl. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe
[attachment=0]

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

This looks like it's one of the GE clock radios, of the 1950 era. They sold jillions of them. The swirl in the plastic is sort of pretty.

The plastic isn't bakelite, but some kind of a styrene, so I would guess. It will break like bakelite does, but it breaks jagged, whereas bakelite breaks clean. Don't go trying this out, now. Those sets were "nothing" sets, but yet decent as cluck radios went. I think they were the 7 pin AA5 tube complement.

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the fast response! I figured it was probably 50's due to the style clock, but hadn't seen the plastic. It's a really pretty case and the ring on the clock face is a kind of mother-of-pearl look -- a pretty unique combo I have to say. I'm going to restore it and finally replace that cheap piece of junk alarm clock I have on my nightstand!

Thanks again,

Joe

Nice Radio Joe! I have a similar GE radio here from that era. I think the " ebay" type radio folks call that "beetled plastic", and or, "swirled" type plastic. In any "case" ( no pun intended), they sure do look nice when cleaned-up abit!! Nice find indeed!! If the old clock inside is made by telechron"?,.. sometimes, just removing the rear clock metal housing, blow it out with air, and add a small shot of WD-40 gets them making perfect time again if the motor is still good & relubed also! Definately worth recapping & keeping in your collection indeed!Ive saved a few of them over the yrs! Congrats on your find!! Icon_wink

It's most likely polystyrene, but I have seen Bakelite cabinets with a rosewood look to it as well, Phillips made some sets that way. My guess is that it could have been made at any point between the late 1940s to the mid 1950s, I have schematics for similar clock radios that span that time period. I think that there was even a Philco clock radio or two that had a similar layout, Telechron clock and a thumbwheel dial for the radio at the top. There was even a clock radio with a similar design that was simply marked as "Telechron" but I doubt whether they made it themselves.
Easiest way to tell Bakelite apart from polystyrene, if you aren't familiar with the feel of the two materials, is to heat up a needle and press it onto the inside of the cabinet some place where it won't show. The hot needle will melt into Polystyrene but will not melt into Bakelite. I have never tried this because I can tell just by weight and the texture, plus Bakelite is more rigid and will not flex as much.
Best Regards
Arran

Thanks for the good info fellas. I've researched a bit more and determined it's a 1951 GE model 515-F. Interesting feature of it -- there's an extra outlet on the back of the chassis where another appliance can be plugged, e.g. a lamp. This outlet is controlled by the alarm function so you could, for instance, plug in a lamp and when the alarm sounded the lamp comes on. Pretty innovative for then, I think. I've found two pics -- one with mother-of-pearl type finish around the clock face, another with shiny gold. Gold makes more sense with the thumb dial, but mine has the other. Icon_rolleyes I'm going to try the needle test out of curiousity -- it sure feels like bakelite. In the end, guess it makes no difference. Icon_smile

i think most people used the socket for their coffee pots,ummmm!!!,fresh coffee!
phil

Two points here. The set was definitely made in 1950 through 1952. I believe it used 7 pin miniature equivalents of the "All american Five" tubes. These sets were in the stores when I was Icollege in 1950-52. They were nreally well made. Indeed, they would have a Telechron clock movement. GE Owned Telechron!

But, be careful about putting heating devices in the timed outlet on this set. I don't think that the clock contacts will stand up under the heavy current drawn by your coffee pot. I seem to recall that they specified a wattage limit for the outlet, somewhere on the back panel of the set.

Thanks Doug, good point and advice. I'll check that out! I've completely refurbished the exterior -- shined the cabinet, re-painted the dial face (was not in great shape). Did make a discovery -- if anyone has to match the gold-colored plastic like is used in the thumb dial on this set -- Mohawk antique gold spray is perfect.

Forget the coffee pot, I'm going to plug in the lamp on my better half's nightstand and have it turn on bright with the alarm!! Icon_eek That'll do the trick!!

Just picked up a model 515 at a garage sale. Unfortunately, the chord is acatually burned off where it enters the back panel. I suspect somebody did indeed try the coffee maker scenario or something equally dopey with this one. Is it worth trying to fix? Anybody know its value in working condition?

thanks,
Rick