Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Converting a 46-1203 to play 33s

I found it in a warehouse that had some stuff of an old relative. It's in perfect shape and works flawlessly. Is it possible to convert it to play 33s?

Let me say this... this is the first vintage radio/turntable I've ever dealt with. I have some experience working on old guitar tube amps, so I'm not a complete newbie. However dealing with motors and such would be new territory for me. I found a good schematic of this model and I have an old ARRL handbook that might help. But I'm wondering if this is even possible. It seems to me that all I'd have to do is find a way to slow the motor down. Please advise.

Thanks!!
John

You could, possibly, but if this is one of the sets that I am thinking of it likely isn't practical. A 78 rpm machine, regardless of what you do with it, would be very hard on LP records, they weren't designed for dynagroove or stereo records so the tone arm weight alone might damage them. The easiest thing to do would be to find a separate 33 rpm record player and pipe it into the radio either through wires or a wireless transmitter, that way the original unit stays intact. I don't think that a Garrard, BSR, VM, or any of the later changers would fit without substantially modifying the cabinet as the original machine was specifically built for Philco.
Best Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran. It looks like I'll have to find some 78s, because the tubes and speaker in this thing sound amazing! Icon_biggrin