Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grill Cloth for Philco Model 51B Cathedral Radio

Hello, I am trying to locate grill cloth similar to the pattern in the attached photo. Any assistance is much appreciated. Thank you.
John[url=https://mail.aol.com/webmail/getPart?uid=AFlb9goAAAERWtX-BwyqMExQ1pk&partId=2&saveAs=DSC01494.JPG&scope=STANDARD][/url]

Attached Files Image(s)

That isn't the original cloth used in the 51B.

The original cloth looks the same as the cloth used in models 70 and 90, as well as most other Philco cathedral radios made from 1931 - 1933.

Radio Daze: http://www.radiodaze.com/grille-cloth-02-item-grc02/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron , Thank you for the quick reply. I apologize for stating the incorrect model number. The photo on the tube shield states models 51 or 51A. I think the grill pattern is called a centered "drape" pattern.

If this exact pattern is no longer available, can you suggest one that would be appropriate for this model? 
Thanks again,
John

I already have in post #2, this thread. The cloth you have is old, but is not original to the radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The Radiodaze link Ron posted is the grill cloth you want. Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave.

I’m very surprised to learn that it is not the original cloth. It appears to be made for this radio as the pattern sweeps from the center of the opening. It is at least 60 years old, as it has been the same since I was a child. I’d like to continue to use it, but unfortunately it has a tear, that I do not think can be repaired. 
Thanks for the information.
John

John

I wasn't (and am not) trying to be mean, really. I was simply pointing out a fact - the cloth you have is not original to the radio.

I did mention that

Quote:The cloth you have is old, but is not original to the radio.

Given that your 51B is 86 years old, it is quite plausible that the original cloth could have been replaced with what you now have 60-75 years ago.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That cloth looks like either an RCA (also C.G.E in Canada) but I think some Brand Z models also used similar stuff.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran. I would really like to find the same pattern, but I don’t think I will.
John

I have a couple of Canadian-built RCA Victors that use that cloth.

I know that one of mine does for sure , it's an RCA-Victor 95T2 from 1939.
Regards
Arran