Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Block Capacitor Questions

I see Russ and I were answering at about the same time... Icon_thumbup I don't go overboard with the wash out with WD40...it just to get most of the remaining crude out.

While waiting for the helpful replies I removed the capacitator block because like the Dire Straights song "Twisting By The Pool" those poor heat stressed dogbones were doing just that! I still have some paint thinner around which is pretty much varsol or plain old solvent back when we could get good ol oil based paint instead of latex crap that forces you to be constantly looking for rain clouds and even on the paint cans solvent was also suggested for a so called paint thinner as well. Anyway I got a large container, dumped it in and threw in the bakelite block Heck it didn't even remove the battle hardened paint off the dog bones and the tar started to melt away. I rubbed the tip of my grub hook inside to rub it out and of course this solvent even washes it off my finger. I used the small brush out of my soldering gun kit to complete this task. About the tar cooked out onto the lugs and terminals? Gone and I'm left with a clean Bakelite Pandora's box and the Solvent even created a gloss on the outside, probably removing 83 years of nicotine tar that this Philco is infested with!

Last three posts split off for moderator review.

A reminder to please read and follow the Phorum Rules:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=4586

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Let's try it again (typing or should I say thumbing with dry smile) and this is with the warning of file size.