Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-295 questions

Hi,

I am new here and to old tube radios. I have inherited a 41-295 Philco. I am refinishing the cabinet, it's all there and in great shape, just a little dull. The insides however are another story. I remember listening to this at my aunts cottage in Door County, and getting stations all over the world on it. I love the look and regardless of the inside works shape it will at least look nice in our house. When I brought it home, I plugged it in as it worked the last time I remember. When I plugged it in and turned it on, all the tubes lit up, but the #80, next to the power supply started to smoke. The damage is as follows, as far as I can tell. The wires to the #80 sockets seem fried. The socket itself is loose on the chassis, and fried, the #80 Tube has a hole burned into the bottom of it. The damage appears localized to that one tube/socket. The speaker is shot also, but I don't think that's as big a deal. I will attach pictures also. Any advise? I'd like to replace that socket and tube and try to get it to work. Is that a possibility? I don't think I have anyone in the Green Bay area or radius fairly close that may be able to look at it or work on it. I won't cut it up. At the least, it will just be pretty furniture. Let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19015173@N07/?saved=1 Cut and paste link to see pics.

Thanks,
Perry

Before you strip the cabinet try some automotive cream hand cleaner like Gojo, it will remove a lot of the dirt and wax and will at least give you an idea of the proper colour scheme if nothing else.
With regards to the tube socket that is clear evidence of a excessive current load in the B+ circuitry caused by a short circuit. I would check the speaker field, output transformer, and the power transformer with an ohm meter to see if you still have continuity. If the speaker field is fine then the speaker can be reconed if need be. There are two solutions for the speaker if it needs replacement, a P.M type with a filter choke attached as a substitute for the field coil, or another electrodynamic speaker.
Best Regards
Arran

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I don't know anything about electronics, i'm more mechanical. Can you break down what I need to do, in caveman terms? I figured I'd get the same kind of speaker from an online source as there seems to be a lot of stuff available.

Thanks,
Perry

If the speaker is shot the only source for a replacement electrodynamic speaker is one of the same design salvaged from another radio, usually another Philco but one from another set may work as well, it's best to confirm that the speaker has gone bad first . The field coil on the speaker should be connected between the electrolytic condensers in the power supply through a cable and a socket, the resistance should anywhere between about 500 and 1200 ohms on an ohm meter if it is good, if it isn't good you won't get any reading. One of the best ways to check if a transformer or the speaker filed coil is any good is both visually and with your nose, a burned out transformer will smell and look burned and may have blobs of melted tar around and below it. If it does not smell or look burned then it would be best to check the continuity of each winding with an ohm meter, I or someone else could explain this later and how much resistance each winding should have.
This looks and sounds like a big project even for an experienced restorer, if you haven't worked on anything like this before I would recommend that you find help or find someone else to overhaul it for you. Not only is their the possible damage caused by a short circuit but these early 40s Philcos were infamous for using rubber covered wire that deteriorates over time. There are three things that you must learn to overhaul an old radio, you need to learn how to solder, read and follow circuit diagrams, and use a volt ohm meter. It can all be learned with time but most people who start out in this hobby generally take on something more simple and in better shape for their first restoration project.
Best Regards
Arran

Perry, I can see in your pictures that the original electrolytic capacitors have gone bad in the past and someone replaced them with two red units and an aluminum cap wrapped with black tape under the chassis. The repair looks to be insulated with masking tape. The 80 tube is the rectifier and it can be easily replaced. Replacement sockets are readily available also. I'm not sure what you mean when you mention the speaker is shot, but if the paper is torn it can be repaired or reconed. If it overheated and tests bad, it may be easier to get a replacement like Arran suggested. The rest of the caps under there look like paper originals that can be replaced later, especially the 2 caps on the primary side of the power transformer that go between line voltage and ground. You're lucky to have gotten the radio as a family heirloom, many of us have fond memories of listening to sets that are long gone.
Dave