Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Christmas '18 Project: The Fisher FM-50-B

The dial glass has been (carefully) cleaned. Do not use any wet cleaners on the inside (reverse painted) of the dial glass! You can use your favorite window cleaner on the outside (non-painted) side of the glass, but be careful to not let any of it get on the reverse side!

I lay the glass on a folded towel and then clean it.

So what do I do about the reverse side?

Simple - I breathe on the glass (exhale with mouth) in one spot and then gently rub off the minute amount of moisture that your breath leaves behind. Repeat for the remainder of the dial glass. Doing this is usually a "good enough" cleaning and if you're careful, none of the reverse painted graphics will be harmed.

The next job was to restring the dial cord. That was a major hassle! But it's done, and a dial pointer has been attached.

Then, I "borrowed" the tubes from my other Fisher FM-50-B and installed in this tuner.

I connected an audio cable from this tuner to the AUX inputs of a receiver I have next to my workbench.

When I first fired it up, the tubes lit up but - nothing.

Something told me to wiggle the tubes. After doing so, I could barely hear a station but that was it.

So I wiggled the tubes again and...

Success.

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/images/phorum/FM5...0B_006.jpg]

It works. IN LIVING STEREO.

The 1st IF tube socket is the worst offender. I'll need to clean the tube sockets, focusing mainly on that socket.

Other things to do before it is finished:
  • Clean the rust spots.
  • Align the tuner.
  • Find and attach four rubber feet. (I have the rubber feet, but I may need to find some suitable 8-32 screws for them.)
  • Install two LED dial lamps.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN