Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Precise 111 Restoration.

Hi, All this is my 1st post. In advance thanks for taking the time to read it.

I have just purchased a Very dirty old Precise 111 Tube tester.
I think most of the issues I can handle but there are two small problems I want to resolve before getting started.
1st is I need to find a full assembly manual as what I find on the net seems to be bits and pieces. 2nd is the BIG one The two rollers and the chart are missing but luckily the gearing is still there.  Yes the big part is the Roller Tube chart ! Wood dowels are no big deal.
Would anyone or can anyone help me out with these to problems. An assembly manual and maybe a file or a pointer to where I can find a Tube chart.

Happy New Year,
Garry

Hi Gary! Welcome! You might enjoy this - take a look. www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14670
I have been through a couple of these, and is by far my favorite tube tester. Mine is the "M", which has the extra sockets for the newer TV tubes but I also have a plain 111. You can find most of the information on "BAMA", but I think I have an assembly manual somewhere. You can also find most of the tube information there too. You will like this tester.  Icon_thumbup

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Hi TV Man !

I appreciate the link . It really gave me a good look at the Roller chart and how it was made. If I can't find one I guess a DIY will have to do.
. I received the unit and lots of work to do. The exterior just needs a good cleaning but when I opened it up I found the remains of a mouse house. LOL Yes right between the transformers. Lots of damage to the pots for the alignment, so this is going to be quite the project. The mice also chewed a lot of insulation off the wires.
well, one step at a time.

Take care,
Sampler1

well, lots of work done on the Precise and it seems to work well. I will still recap it and measure all resistors.
The problem is the roller chart it's missing, just the two supports are there. Would anyone have any idea as to how I could find one or maybe a company that reproduces the charts. Any ideas would be appreciated. I want to pick your brains.. LOL

If you can find the chart information somewhere, a PDF or something that you can work from, and have an old fashioned typewriter, you can do what I did when I had to make a new chart for an old NRI tube tester I had. Buy a roll of shelf paper, PAPER, not sticky plastic stuff, cut it to the correct width, and then, line by line, type the information onto it. Takes for ever, but you end up with a new roll chart. You might also be able to print out the PDF onto sheets and cut them to width, then tape or glue them together, but that might not be as good as the tape or glue may eventually fail.

Thanks for the idea. I will need the patience of God..
Well might be the last resort.

The roll charts are pretty tight, so there isn't much room for taping. I have been trying with limited success to find updated information. I was a day late and a dollar short on radio shack. Most of the tubes you will need to test will have info available. The problem comes during the compactron era where new tubes were coming out faster than the test info could be distributed. I think late 1960's was the last update. There is a guy on Ebay that reproduces new roll charts for many testers, but last I knew he didn't have anything on our Precise. I think he was from Canada. 

I have a non "M" tester that I can take pictures of inside and out if needed.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Hi Tim,
I am still in search for the Roll Chart for my Precise 111 and I have come across one that is white in color Mine is Dark Gray. Could you or someone tell me what is the difference in the models? Im kinda confused.

About the only difference I am aware of would be updated tube information. The newer 111M models had 2 extra tube sockets and 2 more switches (P&Q) to accommodate the newer Compactron types of tubes. There is also a Radio Shack Realistic model 113 model that is made by Precise. The settings are the SAME, so either chart will work for your tester. I am always looking for updated tube testing information so if you should happen to find something, please let me know. Also, the newer models use a larger meter while the older models use a smaller meter with the black or brown edges. These are the only differences I am aware of.

Tim

One other minor difference between the 111 and 111M, since the M tests tubes with more pins (12), there is 2 extra positions on the "Shorts" switch.

Tim

Is the Precise 111 is Dark gray and the model 111M is light beige ?
Thanks,

This is my 111. It is older, I think 1953. It sounds like what you have. They made that until the late 1950's or so when they switched over to the M version around 1961. My dates may be a little off but should be close. The newer versions are brushed aluminum. I think mine is a 66 model. I don't think they were produced after 1967. My old 111 is in a gray metal cabinet and the M is in a wood case. I have seen versions of both. I forgot to mention the M has a transistor tester built in, but I have never used it. Setup is the same between the versions, which means I can use the M chart to set up a tube on my old 111 exc for the compactron tubes, which didn't exist when the original 111 was introduced. You can also use the setup chart from the old 111 to set tubes on the M, exc there wont be the listings for the newer tubes, and there could be some updates (errors corrected) on the newer charts. This is a case where newer is better. For working on radios, the plain 111 is one excellent tester and all you would need. You only would need the M if you want to work on the "newer" TVs and some HiFi/guitar stuff. Saddly, updates petered out around 1967-68, so there may be some tube types introduced that this tester wont test, but mainly on TV.

Tim

Ahhhh Yes ! 
Mine is on the left side, all is clear now.. Much appreciated!

Very Best regards,