Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Blank Philco records

Anyone have a recorder player/recorder ? Im not sure whats its called ...I have 4 old blank Philco home recording records ...Id like to have 2 of them recorded with some Ted Nugent tunes ..
What im wanting to do is Record to them and mess with my dads head ..
Hey look dad Ted Nugents dad Theodor Nugent was making records back in the late 30s ...
BTW im 50 and ol dad is 76 ..And he is a hater of anything Rock n Roll . even the 50s RR irks him ...

You have a good idea, and you'd probably have a lot of fun, playing them for you dad. There is one unfortunate thing that plays into your idea. When the discs were new, the lacquer coating on them was soft, and would cut cleanly and quietly. Nor much time passed before they had hardened with age, and would not cut easily or quietly.

Home recording on discs faded away in the early fifties with the advent of wire and later, tape recording. Lots of discs were sold, mainly for use on professional recorders, where a better quality recording could be made. When you bought those discs from the electronic supply house, you tested them with your fingernail, observing if there was a visible dent at the outer edge of the disc. If so, you bought. If not, you didn't.

Several attempts have been made to soften the lacquer coating on the discs, with no success that I've ever heard of. I wish there were some way, as I have quite a few old blanks, and a Presto professional recorder. But, I'm in the same boat as everyone else; the discs just won't cut properly or quietly.

Well I have good news Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin You can still buy blank records to record on. We restore and sell record cutters all of the time. Obviously, we have to test them before we send them out. We have several blanks that are Philco brand and they work fine. The best ones to use are the cardboard base discs. They won't ruin your cutting needle. The aluminum discs are heavier, but much more delicate to work with. You need to have depth set correctly to use these. The acetate on the NOS Philco discs we use is perfectly fine. They are stored in all different temperatures and no problems. If you would like the recording done for you, contact me at tse1968@45honcho.com and I would be glad to help you out.

Can you cut it at 78 rpm ?