Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-1008 code 121

unfortunately not

I'm not entirely sure of the state of the tubes, I have a knight 600b tube tester but it doesn't list any of these tubes on the scroll

Good time to find one. Doesn't have to be anything fancy but it allow us to inject a signal and hear what stages are working. You can go thru and measure the pin voltages on all the tubes (5Y4 is ok) and see if there are any anomalies.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I'll see about acquiring one, and in the meantime i'll test and record pin voltages for each tube. As you can tell I'm new to radio's and I really appreciate the help you given me.

Icon_thumbup

Ive got a heathkit sg-8 on the way

What kind of voltage should i be seeing out of the output transformer?

THe simple way to check the voltages at the transformer is to measure the plate pin of the output tube (on the 41's it's pin 2) So measure the voltage from pin 2 to the chassis. On both tubes should see abt 250vdc. Then measure the voltage on the screen grids (pin 3) should see about the same. One of the screen grids is going to be a bit lower in voltage as it has a 3,000 ohm resistor in series with the hv source.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

nothing on those and the center tap is dead also... Looks like I'm back in the same boat. Do you know of a new tx i can get for this?

To be clear I'm speaking of the output transformer.
If the power transformer was bad (now) you wouldn't have 600vac from pin 3 to pin 5 on the 5Y4.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Power transformer:
3 and 5 (yellow)=637 ac volts
7 and 8(blue)=370 dc volts
on the 5Y4

Between black and black coming off the PT 6.5 volts ac

yellow-green center tap= o volts to chassis

Output transformer:
0 volts VDC from pin 2 on 41 tube to chassis

And pin 3 of the 41 tubes??

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I got high tech and set up a thermal imaging camera on the chassis as I slowly wound up the variac, and found the #77 resistor on the far left side was what was getting hot and smoking.

I found 2- 470k resistors that where out of spec by a little over 20% that go to the bias resistor, I'm hoping that is my issue. What wattage resistor should those be replaced with? I don't see a rating on the schematic. 2 watt?

To follow up on this post, There was a short in the field transformer wires, and a resistor that was not connected. Set is now receiving. Thank you Terry!

-rperry