Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith MJ1035, is it worth looking for one?

While sitting in the house avoiding the dropping temps and grumping at the lake effect snow, I got to thinking about this table radio from Zenith. I almost had one of these last fall, but the guy was rather rude and I just wasn't in the mood for it, so I let him pound sand. Now, are these good radios if found complete with their external speaker? I have a similar unit offered by Silvertone that uses a similar set up, but has 14 tubes crammed into it and push-pull output on both sides. The downside is the fact that they only use one 6 inch speaker in the radio and the external speaker unlike the bigger speakers and the tweeters that Zenith used. (Still plan to get it repaired someday.) I also like the looks of the Zenith and always considered this model to be the king of their AM-FM table radio line. So, would one of these be really worth looking for once the weather eases up (noting the frustrations of finding things in Ohio and finding them complete and at reasonable cost), or should I just stick with my C845Y? Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

I would not bust a gut to get one...................if you have several good Zeniths...............

Paul

Tubetalk1

They are supposed to sound pretty good, but on the expensive side when it's both the radio and extension speaker.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I'd say stick with what you've got.

Best I remember they are series string & have a single ended 35C5 amp for each channel.

There's AM/FM Stereo RCA of similar size with remote speaker that is transformer powered and uses single ended 6BQ5 in amps.

Model is something like 4RC96 or at least similar.

Well dayum, I 'membered the model.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_4rc96.html

Tom