Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Did Philcos come in a green finish?

I recently acquired a 42-1008p in green finish.  I thought someone did a garish job of refinishing until I saw this recent listing for a Philco on craigslist.  It's a 53-1750 with the same finish.  Is the green finish on my 42-1008p a factory finish?

Attached Files Image(s)

Based on the gallery information both of those green finishes are not original.

Agree. I've had 3 42-1000p's, including one bought new in 1942. No green.

Likely both were victims of the "antiquing" craze of some decades ago, not unlike today's misguided "chalk paint" fad. Icon_thumbdown

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I finally got a picture of it, just so you can appreciate the confusion.    

Yup...a victim of "antiquing". The 1960s/1970s version of today's chalk paint. Icon_thumbdown

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Looks like a 42-1008 i had a few years back.

Eewwww!! Uggh!

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

It isn't that bad better than the last one i seen that was reskinned in black tolex.  Icon_razz

In related news one of the two proponents of chalk painted furniture, and supplies, is closing down, the one on the main street. Thank heaven for that!
Regards
Arran

Let's look at this from the cup-half-full point of view.  If this finish is applied over a pristine original finish, it may serve to protect the original finish.  If you can find a way to strip the green without affecting the finish underneath, you may have a hidden gem here.  Icon_biggrin   But if the original finish was stripped to put this putrescent colour on, you may have to strip it down and recreate the original finish or at least something equivalent like a French polish shellac finish.  Ugly, yes, but this is reversible.

Would be interesting to see what is underneath, but I think I hear Bill the Cat warming up................

Paul

Tubetalk1

I'm actually not too bothered by the finish. I bought the unit to harvest the BOL phonograph for my 42-1013.

In the original photo, it's a 53-1750 (1953) or a B1750 (1954).  They came in only 2 colors -  Mahogany (most popular color at that time and massed produced)  AND Blonde wood color (relatively rare).  The Mahgony version had brown knobs (the left knob is missing but the right side looks brown) and so this was originally Mahogany. The blonde version had blonde colored knobs. I've restored 3 of these (2 blonde and 1 Mahgany)   Cheers !