Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-221 nightmare

Correct, the original had a heavy paper (thin cardboard) shell with two electrolytics inside, held to the chassis by a thin piece of metal which clamped around the unit and fastened to the chassis by bending.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You will have to order it, but this might do the trick for you, https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/ca...ectrolytic

Think I would use the 33uF's I have rather than pay their shipping costs, but thanks for the idea.

Found a 22uF@160 to go with a 33uF and they have been installed. Moving on.

back to your original point.................

every time i see a comment about congested work areas..... i think back to some videos of the philco assembly line. What hits me is the physical size of the darn soldering iron they used to put these things together.

i think i saw where one persons job was to pre twist / connect parts in.... then the next persons job was to solder in place everything that was absent of solder.

i think there must have been two or three stages of this to the point that layer upon layer things eventually get burried to maximize space all these parts take up.

Well, I finished replacing the caps and any out of tolerance resistors. Also left some of the original wiring that did not have cracked insulation. It works and sounds good but I still need to install a fuse, line cap and do an alignment as the tracking is off.

Also, the clip that holds the oscillator coil to the chassis is not there since the top portion of the coil form broke so there is no place to asttach it.

OK, help me locate the AVC resistor on this radio. I think it is #33, a 2.2M resistor.

Yes it is.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Trying an alignment with my vtvm and unmodulated signal. Adjusting the 3rd IF transformer I can get a peak but then the reading falls backwards. This does the same for the other transformers. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

As you adjust the tuning, the AVC will reduce the gain and the current through the AVC-controlled tubes and that will cause the B+ voltage to rise.  I had an RCA Model 50 radio where I replaced the rectifier with silicon diodes and added a VR150 regulator tube and you could tune by the brightness of the regulator, more light = more signal, because the regulator took the current the converter and IF did not take.

It sounds like you either need to reduce the input signal level from your signal generator or disable the AVC by disconnecting it and using a bias battery in its place so the B+ stays constant.

I decided against the AVC method and went with the output meter. I hesitated to do this at first since the connections for the voice coil sat so close to the leads from the output transformer that I was afraid I would damage them. Somehow I managed to make the connections and now the radio is aligned per the 1941 yearbook. Stations come in across the dial where they belong and sound clear. Now to tackle the cabinet which smells like its been sitting next to a campfire.