Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-62 open oscillator transformer

I rewound one for a Philco 45 IF transformer and used plain enameled magnet wire of the same size. It had a wood core. I looked for about three hours trying to find where it was open with no luck.
I am sure someone know why they used that strange woven wire.

I slid the old coil off whole after a little cleaning of the wood dowel. I carefully measured the distance from the end before removing the old one for placement of the new one.

I used masking tape ( the green stuff) to make a form for winding the new coil. After I had enough thickness of tape I used an xacto knife to cut out a section where the new coil is to sit on the core.

Now I cold not measure the inductance of the old one but since it looked just like the other coil on the same wooden core, I wound the new one to match It's inductance (at this point what have I got to lose.) I used my capacitor checker which can measure inductance to match them. I didn't try and match the number of turns.

I used my cordless drill to wind the wire. It took three tries to get something that might work. The first time I had about three times too much inductance. I just kept removing wire until I had a match.

I used a little super glue to hold it's shape and baking soda to cure it. It wasn't real pretty but it worked.

It actually tuned.

I will try and post a picture of it later.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
                           /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]  Chris

Messages In This Thread
38-62 open oscillator transformer - by keith49vj3 - 02-06-2019, 06:20 PM
RE: 38-62 open oscillator transformer - by Chas - 02-06-2019, 08:11 PM
RE: 38-62 open oscillator transformer - by OZ4 - 02-07-2019, 12:45 AM
RE: 38-62 open oscillator transformer - by Chas - 02-07-2019, 01:32 PM
RE: 38-62 open oscillator transformer - by morzh - 02-11-2019, 02:24 PM
RE: 38-62 open oscillator transformer - by OZ4 - 03-18-2019, 05:25 PM