Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Precision 920 Tube tester Short indicator
Photo 

Hi,
I'm considering buying a Precision 920 Tube tester But before I do I need some info. The Short Indicator G-10 Neon bulb is missing and from what I see they are rare and very expensive. Has anyone come up with a cheap DIY replacement for the G-10 Neon lamp-Bulb. If you have can you please leave details on what parts you used. I have read some people say just use a bulb and change the resistor values but, that is hard to do when I have no original G-10 and also have not bought it yet.

I do realize this is not the best tester with limitations But it is only the G-10 that concerns me.
Thanks! Any Ideas ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-Neon-Bulb...:rk:3:pf:0

Not G-10 but could be used.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The industry std number for G10 is NE-31.

Tom

When I needed one for my tester I ended up buying a junk tester because I refused to spend $25.00 for a bulb. I imagine you can use a different one but you would need to change the socket . 
                                           Henry

Thank you all for the info. Just ordered the Tube Tester as a project.
Regards,

I'm 99% a NE-45 has same base, dunno about actual charistics.

Tom
Sad 

Thanks but the NE-45 specs are 2ma and size 9/16"
The G-10 or NE-31 is 12ma and Size 1"1/4"

The prices on both are crazy so I guess ill have to mod and use a standard Neon.. I hate to change the configuration and was hoping to figure out a way to use a bulb of normal price to fill the hole in the chassis. Guess not.

Still appreciated very much..

The current rating would no doubt be dependant on condition of current limiting resistor inside base, I doubt a in spec NE-31 exists. Of course it's all about firing point, I doubt that's in spec either.  

I have a 910 plus a couple of 912 & 920, I wouldn't trust short test in any of them. Likely if short is indicated that's believable, but a small amount of leakage will never be indicated.

Tom

A "Wanted" ad was just posted here and was deleted by management.

Do not post "wanted" or "for sale" ads here. They belong in either Wanted Ads or For Sale or Trade, as appropriate.