Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gozinta

Mike, one of my instructors showed us a device he used back in his radio/tv repair days.  It was called a goesinta (goes-in ta) (sp?) that threaded onto the threaded part of the shaft and when cleaner was sprayed in the other end it (in theory) forced it between the shaft and threads into the pot.  I didn't bother looking for one until years later and I have never found anything like it or even a reference to it.  I'm probably spelling it wrong, but at times that little gadget could come in handy.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John,

Yes it makes sense. A low-viscosity liquid could be forced in the space between the shaft and the threaded barrel, especially considering that the fitting that screws onto the thread could be made very tight so the liquid does not escape elsewhere.

Unfortunately I don't think one could easily find that device today Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(02-12-2019, 04:14 PM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  It was called a goesinta (goes-in ta) (sp?) that threaded onto the threaded part of the shaft and when cleaner was sprayed in the other end it (in theory) forced it between the shaft and threads into the pot.

McGee Radio in Kansas City used to offer those for sale, probably many other distributors as well. They called it Gozinta.

I'd like to find one of those, also. I've never seen one, just the illustration in the McGee Radio catalogs from the late 1960s-very early 1970s before they went out of business.

I think the only reason I remember it is because I though that was quite a unique name for a product back when I was still a kid.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

One time use, could you use a piece of rubber tubing?

(02-12-2019, 06:02 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  McGee Radio in Kansas City used to offer those for sale, probably many other distributors as well. They called it Gozinta.......

Thanks Ron, now I know how it is spelled.  Maybe I'll find one in a junk box or maybe some enterprising soul will fabricate up a few to sell.....

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

If a "Gozinta" really worked, and if some could be found or fabricated, I think it would be good for freeing up shafts of switches (and controls) that have rusted/frozen, using PB Blaster.

...of course the PB Blaster might not be good for a control...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

^I wasn't going to bring up PB Blaster, Ron... But I once fixed a scratchy volume control with it. This was on an 80's vintage Sony HiFi preamp that is still going strong in our main sound system. Seemingly, there have been no problems at all, and the pot has remained quiet to this day.

As to the Gozinta, it would be interesting to see a picture of one, to see if it could be replicated. One thing that may prove a challenge, is how to seal the device against the control's threads, and how the design copes with different lengths and styles of control shaft.

Something that bothers me is that one will never now how much fluid reached (and will be trapped) within the control, and that any high viscosity grease used to make controls have a smooth (but not stiff) feel could be displaced.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

I could take a clear plastic tubing of diameter that would be able to get "screwed" onto that pot, screw it tightly and just pour some Deoxit Fader Lube in it, and let stand for a while, and then rotate the shaft through the tubing several times.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Quote:As to the Gozinta, it would be interesting to see a picture of one, to see if it could be replicated. One thing that may prove a challenge, is how to seal the device against the control's threads, and how the design copes with different lengths and styles of control shaft 

I was thinking the same thing. If anyone can find a photo of one, I would like to see it

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Unfortunately, all of my McGee catalogs were trashed several years (decades) ago, so I don't have an illustration of one.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Probably a long shot. Wonder if it could be found in the US patent archives.

I was thinking the same thing. If anyone can find a photo of one, I would like to see it.
Steve I found this pic. Go to page 76 bottom of page.
https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Ra...970-06.pdf

That's it! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I wonder if it made sense for Caig Labs to produce a limited batch of Deoxit Fader Lube in Gozinta-style packaging. Would go like hot cakes amongst radio-collectors' community and electric guitar players, plus the audiophiles who still use the vintage amps......

Wow, all this discussion about a Gozinta made the light go on in my head! My dad had a TV/ radio repair business in the late 50s early60s. I've seen this tool kicking around for decades and never knew what it was for until now! Not a Gozinta but a Trol  Master made in Highwood, Illinois. So happy to have this now. Can't find anything online about it.

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84