Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ping: Ron and other experts Philco 37-640X Veneer

Ron,
I posted this on the ARF and can't get a consensus so I'm appealing to an expert. Does the above mentioned radio have any photo-finish whatsoever and if not, which I don't think it does, what types of veneer/ stains do I use to replace both the sides and the top parts above the Philco logo. It appears to use different types of veneer and I want to get it right. Icon_biggrin

-Shane-

Hi Shane, have you got any pics of yours you can post?

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

It is obvious to me from the photos you posted over on the antique radio forum that this cabinet is the real deal (i.e. no photofinish).

Link:
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115281

Walnut was the veneer used most often. There are different types of walnut veneer. You will have to match what you have to one of the varieties available.

Looking at your pictures, I don't see anything wrong with the top of your cabinet; only some separation on one side where the side veneer curves over the top and a small piece missing. I would not replace anything on top; it looks okay. You should concentrate only on the area where the veneer is separating and has the piece missing. There is no use creating more work for yourself than necessary.

Don't use stain! Use tinted lacquer to do the job right. The cabinet should be medium walnut overall, with extra dark walnut on the left and right side trim, the three grillebars, and the bottom trim. Tinted lacquer (also called toning lacquer) is available from Mohawk (which you can find at Radio Daze and, in large quantities, from Mohawk themselves), and Behlens (which can be purchased at Woodcraft stores). Note that the Behlens toning lacquer has more pigment than the Mohawk does, which will quickly make your cabinet look painted if you use too much. Mohawk lacquers generally give a more pleasing effect.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN