Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antenna wire

Paul, i went through the same wind,,, its still here....

My long-wire, strung between tree tops sees a lot of movement. I have had to re-think the rigging a number of times... But it only uses thinner copper wire, not too strong (but cheap).

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Ed,
if you want drawings done, i can volunteer my help on that.

just sketch up and email to jcassity@frontier.com and i will turn it into a print back to you in .jpeg form so you can post as you see fit.
304 772 3411

Thanks!

I think this is a worthwhile effort. There is a great starting point in the presentation the Paul Philco shared with us. The things I would want to add are related to better ways to connect exterior antennas. I can start by sketching up in powerpoint, and making a pdf. Also I have a few web links that describe these methods.

Thanks

Ed

Great info guy,s.
Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can experiment.
murf

(02-26-2019, 12:14 PM)jcassity Wrote:  Paul,  i went through the same wind,,, its still here....

Glad to hear it, we had 14 inch snow Monday, not much wind, very cold last week.

Tubetalk1

Here is the wire I’ve used for my longwire. It’s really strong and works well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-50.../202316425

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”

Oldtimer tbone - you can't use that wire, it is grounding wire, it won't pick up any signals  Icon_crazy

Seriously - that is a good recommendation, it looks like good stuff, and 500 ft means lots of antenna experiments.

That’s pretty funny Ed Icon_biggrin

I recently replaced one section of my longwire when the ice destroyed one of my trees. Right now I go out 35’ from the house to the first tree to a hook and insulator. I have a second hook and insulator that starts a second run going east and west. Both are tie together forming one antenna.

It works well and I’m able eliminate most of my neighbors LED dimmed light interference. Any radio inside the house becomes almost unusable on parts of the band, so a good antenna is a must.

I use a run of a foil shielded coax to bring it in to a switch on my bench. I can route it to my Philco upstairs or to my bench. I plan on making a better switch and creating a third run to my radio display room.

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”

Radio Display Room, when can I come visit?

I will wipe my feet!  Icon_biggrin

Paul

Tubetalk1

Ed,
did you ever move forward on some antenna stuff for us yet?

Not yet - I'm sorry. Need to work on it. Thanks for the reminder.

Also need to work on my antennas, as both the dipole AND longwire are down. The support rope for the long-wire eventually succumbed to UV exposure, and the dipole was the victrim of a fallen tree branch. Said branch also dropped on the Range Rover, and it was very fortunate that no serious damage was sustained.

Let me sketch up some notes - probably this weekend.

All I use for a antenna is a copper long wire stapled to the ceiling in my attic roof the whole length of the house. I have used it for over 20 years. My radios work well with it and I pick up stations all over the place. Granted you were able to pick up a lot more radio stations from around the world 10 years ago, a lot of countries are off the air now. But it works great where I am and I do not have to worry about it being outside and having to fix it when it needs repairs because of the elements.

i like to try and stay outside the envelope of the "home" where surrounding a typical home, about 10 or so feet around it there is a lot of interference from modern equipment we have now which in many cases causes interference

That is a good plan, if you can manage it i.e. the space is available.

I have been working on a write-up and diagrams for receiving antennas. More soon. It will be mostly diagrams, with the basic guidelines for setup, do's and dont's etc. Nothing earth-shattering, and all good, basic practice that I have learned from other sources, and found to work well.

Cheers

Ed