Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ignorant question Admiral?

Remember when Teacher said no such thing as silly question....................

So I need some knobs for this one, 

https://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=1090532

How do you measure shaft? I have an idea it is outer diameter of shaft but can anyone clarify? I have not had many knob hunts, appreciate the advice for such a basic query. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

That's a gorgeous radio!

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

>How do you measure shaft?

Generally most shafts are 1/4" in diameter. The general exceptions are dual controls, two speed dial drives, and test equipment. However the shape more critical.
There is a round shaft these typically use a set screw to hold it in place.
There is a half round it which is just as it sounds and the knob that is fitted to it will have a metal clip inside to hold the knob tight onto the flat of the shaft.
Philco uses a very similar setup but it's just a bit more than a half so Philco knobs will fit very loosely onto a half round. You can fit the Philco knob on upsidedown and it will be on tight.
Split shaft has a gap at the center of the shaft and it has ridges on it. The gap can be used to adjust the tension on the knob.

Hope this helps.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

(03-03-2019, 11:27 PM)Greggshere Wrote:  That's a gorgeous radio!

Well that is not mine but Mr. Rebar does a great job. I know him and his work is exceptional. For a non collector wanting to get a set he is a good bet. 

Mine needs some TLC but the photo showed the knobs well. 

Thanks Terry, I have not gotten the non original replacements off yet but I have a feeling they are the usual half round so s/b 1/4 inch. A fairly basic 2 knob set but I like the look has a Jensen speaker not sure if that is original or not but I have a thing for the look of this little case.

So a little update on this set, pulled out chassis today nice and clean no rust, speaker is not original someone stuck in a 4 inch Jensen Alnico speaker attached with baling wire, tubes all there some original, cord was replaced a messy job too with a cord with way too much heft, but it looks like the underside may have not been touched. Only 1 rubber wire I could find. I am starting to wonder about knobs, post war sets might use anything available, this set has brass colored inlay on a generic looking brown plastic. Maybe I can get a photo or 2 up this weekend. Not the best acquisition but I think we can take a shot at her.

Thanks.

Paul

Tubetalk1