Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cabinet smell

I finished the work on my 41-221 chassis and now its time for the cabinet. It smells like its been sitting next to a campfire. I tried putting it in a bag with some charcoal for 2 weeks but that didn't make any difference. I'm thinking about trying Murphys Oil Soap to take away the smell. Any thoughts on that or other ideas?

I use febreeze
You can also clear it in satin...

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Smoke smell? It will eventually go away on its own. Or like Kirk said.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I had a nice Stewart Warner tombstone that had a very nice original finish that I had done a complete electronic resto on and every time I played it for any length of time it smelled just like an old chicken coop. I tried all kinds of things and that smell never went away.

Gregb

Murphys did not really do anything to get rid of the smell. Its somewhat weakened but still noticeable. Now Ill have to wait until its warmer out so I can reflow the laquer on the cabinet and hope that that will rid the smell.

Is the finish on the cabinet in good shape or is it a bit tired? If it's in good shape I would try cleaning the finish with Gojo, just in case it's on the surface, reflowing would only bury the dirt in the finish unless you clean it first. You could also try it on the inside, or spray it with brake cleaner. If push comes to shove, you may have to wash the inside of the cabinet out with TSP, but that would involve hot water, so stick with washing the inside bottom this way, and dry it quick with rags and a heat gun.
Regards
Arran

I have used clear laquer to seal the inside of a wood cabinet from a musty smell. Had some kitchen cabinets in storage during an overhaul, they drew dampness and smelled awful. I cleaned and coated the inside with clear. It took care of the problem. The outside just cleaned up. It depends on if you want to do this to your radio. Then it will smell like paint for awhile lol.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Hello Jim.  Years ago my parents had a fire in their basement.  It reeked of smoke odor afterwards.  The contractor that repaired the damage brought in an ozone generator and ran it for about 24 hours.  If you didn't see the fire damage you would not know it for the lack of odor after that process.  Perhaps you could rent a generator and place it and the cabinet in a closet for a few hours.  Just a thought.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I'm trying a trick using dryer sheets in a plastic bag. I think all its going to do is mask the smell even more but I'm willing to try.

I inherited a console stereo that wreaked of cigarette smoke.
I cleaned it with Murphy's Oil Soap, and it did reduce the smell. I wouldn't say it vanished completely, but the Murphy's did make it more tolerable.

I have used an ozone generator inside cars. They help. Sometimes you need to repeat a few times. I use it in my kids room too  Icon_biggrin

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Shellac is an odor blocker. You can use it as a sanding sealer if you are going to refinish. It would be important to spray the interior of the cabinet as well.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Since it’s getting to be a nice time of year, I recommend fresh air and sunshine.  Leave it out in the air and sun for about three days.