Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-6 Power Transformer Issues

morzh

I was again, only going by the resistances printed on the schematic.
One half is listed as 550 ohms, and one half is listed as 500 ohms.  I thought that was so weird, thinking the halves had to be symmetrical to produce symmetrical voltage,  but that's just my assumptions.   When I saw the post on the RCA, I decided to measure my high voltage.

I'm kicking myself now, for not measuring voltages ( or continuity) when I first went into this thing.   Now I'm left wondering if it was sold that way ( even though advertised that it worked), OR did I damage the transformer when I dis-sassembled it to re-insulate the wiring. 

I assumed that since it was working, all was well with that costliest part of the radio.  And if it can still function with half an open secondary winding, I may still continue to put it back together. Not sure I want to spend more money on another power transformer, though ,   with the IF transformer issue as well.

Live an learn.  Icon_rolleyes

Jake

rfeenstra

Appreciate  your interest bud.
There is one on Ebay now that may suffice.  But I'm hesitating bidding on it since I still have the IF transformer issue to resolve. ( I pulled one connection out of it.)   My $30 dollar radio is quickly turning into a $130 dollar radio. Icon_confused

Radioroslyn,

Yes sir.

Jake   Icon_idea

Radioroslyn,

Just to get back with you on that Epay transformer,  I contacted the seller, asked him if he verified it was producing all proper voltages.  He said he checked resistances.
I didn't feel good about that...I felt he should have connected power to it , and measured voltages.   So I didn't bid on it.
That auction has ended by now, and someone did win it.

Thanks again for the tip. I'll keep looking for one.

Jake

Just an update on my 39-6 :

As of this moment, it still needs a power transformer, ( unless I decide it will still operate somewhat with half a high-voltage secondary winding.)

One of the two power supply filter cans is destroyed with my trying to cut it off at the top.  I'll try to replace it for looks, but I've decided that re-stuffing is not worth the trouble. The new caps go underneath now. Still have to find solder terminals. All the other new caps are soldered in.

The cabinet has been stripped, and may even turn out ok, ... as long as I haven't already committed a crime by not removing the paint on it with baby oil or something.  Icon_shh   The veneer appears to still have some color to it.  In the pics, you can see where I'm trying to repair a small piece of veneer that chipped off on the upper left corner.

The inside of the cabinet looks like it's painted with a pale yellow paint. I'd like to repaint it also. Maybe someone has some suggestions as to the best paint to use.

The 84 rectifier rolled off my desk while I was trying to research it online. It didn't break, but, in all probability will now need replacing. ( This radio played a little when I first got it in December).   I sure hope they're available.

I'll need to re-string the dial cord. It broke but I expected that.

I have new # 47 lamps, but will need to obtain a new light socket for it. The old one's rubber insulator has petrified and won't allow a new lamp to go inside it.

The IF transformer still has only 3 of 4 connections, ( after I pulled one out from bad eyesight), . . . probably the biggest challenge to the restoration. I'll keep picking at it, but it will be in between outdoor projects now.

Spring has sprung, ...things turn green, Icon_mrgreen  and that means I go outside !

Attached Files Image(s)

I  started 2 different threads on this 39-6 CI, ( although they are in two different categories.)
But I mistakenly made the one thread (in Electronic Restoration here)  too narrow in scope, (dealing only with the power transformer issues).

I've continued with the work on this radio ( from last March), and I wondered about starting a new thread, ...until I realized that may be  in violation of a rule.  So I'd better continue with it's general electronic restoration  in this thread, however-inappropriately it's entitled.   Icon_rolleyes

I'm wondering about how to re-coat IF transformers with the proper wax to seal or stabilize them.  I have attempted to re-wind the secondary winding of the 2nd transformer and for now, I've  coated the winding with candle wax.  .  . but I remember the wax it had on it was red-colored.  Any suggestions on a more-proper wax or process?

I would just leave it w/the candle wax on it. I don't too many folks are going to be looking inside to see what wax is on it.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

THANK YOU TERRY!, . .  I have your blessing!   Icon_lol Icon_thumbup Icon_e_smile  Icon_clap

Believe it or not, I got this 39-6CI to play again tonight.  Beerchug

I tried to upload a video of it, but I get a message it's not allowed.

This was just a preliminary test to determine a couple things. ( I didn't even solder all connections yet, using wire nuts to hold some of them together. )  But at least now I know my re-cap and resistor replacement is ok, and that the IF transformer isn't a total loss.    I also  answered my own question about whether a radio will function somewhat, ( perhaps not correctly), with half a high voltage power supply winding open. It will.

Even though it was performing this well when I got it last year, but I'm somewhat confident I didn't damage the power transformer myself during the re-insulation of the leads.   I'll probably make an attempt to replace it later, but for now, I'm going to turn my attention to the cabinet.

Icon_thumbup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvx6a7DB...e=youtu.be

I forgot , this is how it's done .

>>>I tried to upload a video of it, but I get a message it's not allowed.

This is why I terminated my Youtube account.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

" This is why I terminated my Youtube account."

I think you misunderstood me Mike bud.   I meant I got the error message here, on PhilcoRadio.com.
I forgot we upload videos of radios, on YouTube, then provide the link to it here.  Poor memory I have.

That's the  link to my video on YouTube  in my previous message above.   Icon_wink
Check it out. You don't need an account to view.

Oh...I thought you tried to play radio station music. Youtube block those.
Got it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.