Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just curious. Who's got a . . .

Who 's got a 38-690 out there? Icon_e_surprised

According to the Gallery, it's Philco's finest radio.  It's a beaut!

Jake

Ive got a pair of them in the lineup yet to get restored...

I got one, restored in 2017.

As for the finest, it is more or less the same as 37-690 (the output is triode amp instead of tetrode and the tweeters are driven a bit differently) and visually I personally like 37 year model just a tad more.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

sdradioman

Well shucks . . .  remember your friends here on the Phorum.  <grin>   Icon_mrgreen

morzh

I'll check out that model. 

Jake

I got mine at a garage sale 2 years ago. Haven't seen it since Icon_lol

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

OldRestorer,

Mmmmmmmmmmmm....pretty!!!   Thanks for sharing.

Jake   Icon_e_smile

I had two and kept one. I prefer my 37-690.

I indeed have a pair... one is complete and the other needs parts... will be starting the cabinet restoration later this fall when the weather cools down enough to work in the garage... if I can find a power chassis I’ll be able to finish the other as that is missing along with needing the main speaker reconed.

Picked up a 38-690 in Delaware during this Covid time! Cabinet needs a lot of work.

sdradioman.......I have the complete insides for a 37-690. Both chassis, speakers, everything. Bought them about 5 years ago from a person who found them at an estate sale without a cabinet. The chassis was mostly recapped and plays fairly well.

My 38-690 is restored but I'm waiting to see if I need any parts when I restore my 37-690.  I can contact you after the restoration if interested as I'm going to sell any left over parts.

I’ve had one since 2017. I went through it completely electronically and refinished the cabinet. A really good sounding radio. It will rattle the windows!

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”

Have the 38-690 very nice radio