Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-350 dial pointer

Hello again -

I noticed that the 42-350 I'm working on has a missing dial pointer. I contacted the seller (who said all parts were included in the ad) and was told that he didn't have the needle pointer and didn't know it was missing.

I'm not going to go to war over it because now that I got the electrolytics and over half of the wax caps replaced (a few are REALLY buried under other parts) the radio actually sounds good and I can't detect any hum.

Does anyone know where I might find that obscure part? It is probably the type that has the needle attached to a folded piece of metal and it slides along the metal back plate of the dial glass.

I would even settle for a reproduction.

Thanks.

<I would even settle for a reproduction.

You are nominated for the job. Time to break out the sheet brass or steel and fab one.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I feel empowered.  Arg.

I have a friend who made a very serviceable pointer for an RCA cut it out of a piece of galvanized sheet metal and he was able to make the fold in top of pointer by bending it over a square metal rod, like he formed it, then it would run over the top of the piece under the dial glass. Painted it with Rustoleum Red 3 times lightly and you know it was OK. 

He made a pattern out of heavy paper before he cut it out with tinners snips. The pointer itself was a bit wider than he would have liked but he could not get it too thin with hand tools. So unless you know someone who has a big box of old parts and junk to go through it looks like a You Do It job. You may surprise yourself. 

Good luck. Icon_biggrin

Paul

Tubetalk1

Yessir I had thought of thin metal bend around something with the front end to have a glued pointer of some sort and the backside to be longer so I could fold it over the dial string and clamp it down with pliers.

As far as surprising myself - that would be a minor miracle.

Thanks.

Back in the day in Shop Class we made dustpans and simple home items from a thin sheet metal, non galvy but flexible and easy to work with, maybe HVAC supply store? Perhaps get a thin metal rod and attach to the metal base?

Paul

Tubetalk1

Good suggestion.

I am drawing up a game plan along with poking around the Internet for someone with a "for parts or repair" radio of the same type.

Either way I really want to make this happen.

Thanks again.

Occasionally you find parts online, Oppat specializes in parts. Mark Oppat radio, google search should find you his site, good luck. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Home Depot sells small pieces of sheet brass and brass rod with which you could make the required parts; or, you could just get some 14 gauge romex, pull out one of the conductors, and bend it up into a configuration that works. I have seen that done very successfully. Then you just spray paint the pointer part red, and you're golden.

I tried Oppat but got a reply that he was on some sort of medical leave or something and to try again in a few weeks.

I remembered him from the past.

Thanks.

I will check Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware HVAC dealers, etc but it's all so time consuming and I am in very poor health.

I'll think of something. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I have a needle pointer off of another radio that might be close enough that you could modify it to work. I can take a photo if you're interested.

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

Absolutely.

Please shoot me that photo!

I really appreciate it.

Shoot me your email and I'll email you the shot from my phone.

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

terrylett@insightbb.com