Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hippo model 48-460 code 122 antenna connections

Hello everyone -

I got another Hippo (I am a sucker for these) and it turns out to be a 48-460 code 122 according to the stamp on the chassis.

In my typical haste to get started on the recapping I snipped the loop antenna connections (4 of them - I'm used to 2) and of course now that I'm done and the last thing to do is reconnect the loop I can't figure out which goes where.

There is a lead coming from the variable cap that would connect to one of the 4 loop wires, then there are 3 posts on a terminal post with 4 posts that were connected. The leftmost post as you are looking from the rear into the interior has a wire as well as the next one to the right and the next to that. The 4th post doesn't connect to any loop wire.

I can try all the combinations and eventually get this right but I was wondering if anyone knows which goes where.

I could only find info from Riders on a code 121 and it shows a mounted antenna coil on the chassis which this Hippo does not have.

Let me know if you have suggestions.

Thanks.

The loop on the code 122 is to two sections. There is a smaller (less turns) pickup loop and a larger section ( more turns) which is the tuned circuit for the mixer grid. The pickup loop connects to the ant post and the other end connects to a 1500mmfd cap and then to the chassis. The tuned circuit loop one end connects the chassis and the other connect to the tuning cap and C-403. The simple way to tell which is which is the measure the resistance of each the lower resistance loop is the pickup loop.

Hope this add some clarity to your question.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

OK thanks.

I will take a closer look at the loop and trace the wires back and see what I come up with.

Glad you've seen this before; it just looked like a standard loop antenna to me.

Truth be told it is. A lot of sets w/a loop are set up like this. It's less common to have a loop and an ant coil too like the 121 setup.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I'm in gleaning mode.

Thanks again.

One member mentioned the 48-460-122 uses the same schematic as the 49-900.

If you look up the schematic in the Library under 48-460 it shows  both ant circuits.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Sorry everyone who responded - I got involved in some other things and forgot to report on my wiring changes.

It looks really god now as far as my Hippo antenna connections.

I get squeezed somewhat at the low end of the dial mainly because of 2-3 local Cincinnati stations and of course WLW sucking the oxygen out of a lot near the 700 AM area.

Once I get past AM 780 or so I'm picking up Des Moines, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Chicago, New York, Raleigh-Durham, etc.

I'd say the Hippo is performing just fine now as far as reception. Also no hum; just a little static between some of the stations.

One last question before moving on:

Radioroslyn mentioned the smaller of the shared loop winding coils in his original reply.

Radioroslyn - could that smaller winding be compared to the L2 "tickler" coil I remember when I built a 2-tube regen radio a few years ago?

Well it and it isn't. It is a separate winding like you regen uses BUT is used to a different fashion. On a regen the tickler winding is used to create feedback between the plate and grid or grid and cathode in a vacuum tube circuit. You Philco uses it's winding to loosely couple rf energy from your outside ant to the input of the receiver.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks once again.