Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco export radios and tubes?

This is mostly addressed to Ron, but I am happy for anyone else to chime in...

There are many Philco radios made for export that appear in Riders. First question... Many of these use "E" suffixed tubes, for example 42E, 6K7EG, 7J7E. It is my understanding that the "E" types are usually tertrode strapped pentodes due to some British patent exclusion. Is there any Philco literature or service bulletin that explains exactly what the "E" suffix tubes are, how one might sub for them, and what the universe of "E" suffix tubes might be?

Second, while looking through Riders for "E" suffixed tubes, I found two other Philco oddities in Riders volume 8. One is a model 233G / 233AG which uses a pair of 32E tubes and a type 2101. The other oddity is a model 263E. The rectifier in the 263E is a type 25RE. Is there literature that identifies these tubes.

Hello Jim,

Good to see you here.

At this time I do not recall having seen any Philco literature which adequately explains the "E" suffix tubes.

About all I can say at this time is that, with my extensive collection of Tropic sets which were all designed mostly for "E" tubes, that the standard American tubes (without the "E") serve very well as substitutes.

The 233G/AG and the 263E were designed for export. The UK Vintage Radio Service Data DVD lists a Philco 233 and 263 (which use the tubes you listed, respectively), so these sets were likely intended for export to Great Britain/Europe?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You might ask your question over here:  https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry